Author Topic: Cleary / Roche County Wexford  (Read 472 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cleary / Roche County Wexford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 March 24 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Here is Joseph b Aughrim, 1871
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03287/2204712.pdf

I can’t see a civil birth registration for Mary Roche in Rathdrum.
If you look at the baptism record, there is a civil record for William Farrell, (baptism 2438) and on another page, in the civil registers, a civil record for Peter Heatherton (baptism 2436), the entries above and below Mary's baptism.

It seems as though Mary’s civil record was omitted.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 March 24 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Well, I hope you are going to come back and let us know your thoughts on this, accleary.

This looks to be Peter Cleary.
1871- Peter ‘Clarey’ married to Isabella, living in Durham and birthplace ‘Kilmoor ’.
**you have to register with Family Search but it is free.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VB87-121

His marriage record would give his father’s name and occupation. That detail might help.

Offline accleary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 March 24 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Well, I hope you are going to come back and let us know your thoughts on this, accleary.

This looks to be Peter Cleary.
1871- Peter ‘Clarey’ married to Isabella, living in Durham and birthplace ‘Kimoor’.
**you have to register with Family Search but it is free.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VB87-121

His marriage record would give his father’s name and occupation. That detail might help.

Hi there, sorry my posts are taking a long time to be moderated - I replied on the previous page yesterday (Friday) but it's still awaiting moderation...and I imagine that by the time this one is moderated the previous one will have been!

It is tricky with the variations on spelling - Cleary, Clarry, Clary, Clarey; Roche, Roach, Roache etc.

I had made the assumption around it being Kilmore in Wexford as it's a fairly established place, and also I remember many years ago my Aunt mentioning family history oriented around a bay in the South East tip of Ireland...but my understanding also is that the name Cleary is pretty common in Co.Clare, and there is a Kilmore there too.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 March 24 15:16 GMT (UK) »

As a new user, ACCLeary's posts will only appear once/if approved by moderator.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 March 24 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for coming back accleary.

I didn’t realise that posts need approval. I used to be a moderator and  it may have changed or I must have forgotten that.   ::)

I hope we are on the right track.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 March 24 00:47 GMT (UK) »

Peter Cleary, born 1821 - married Isabella Linsley in North-East England (Durham I believe). Evidence for him being from Kilmore is the 1881 E&W Census listing him (Peter Clarry  ::) ) as being born in Kilmoor, Ireland. And I think I've seen Rilmore somewhere too! I've seen others on Ancestry listing a James Cleary, born 1790 in County Clare as his father, but I haven't found documentary evidence of that.

There is a Kilmore in Co. Cavan. A parish and also the name of the entire diocese.
That your Peter Cleary ended up in Durham, might suggest mining - did he have such an association? There were mines in the vicinity of Co. Cavan, which might make a Cavan origin more likely if so. Downside is he would have been born before start of parish register.

There is also a Kilmore Catholic/civil parish in Co. Mayo, on the ocean.

Kilmore, Co. Wexford - A parish with fishing village and an agricultural area. Unlikely candidate for move to Durham? No sign of his baptism in parish registers.
Kilmore, Co. Clare - just a townland.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 March 24 02:02 GMT (UK) »

Mary Bridget Roche being born in Macroom - 1939 England and Wales register lists her birthplace as County Cork, Ireland. I'm sure I saw an explicit reference to Macroom somewhere, perhaps in the
.....As there's a baptism of a Mary Bridget Roche in Fermoy, Cork, in March 1869 with the parents being Owen Roche and Bridget Daly.

Fermoy isn't Macroom, though, is it?

Regarding Wexford (Town), the 1901 England census lists his birth place as 'Westford, Ireland', which I took to be a spelling mistake, as I haven't found a place called Westford.

Could also be Westport.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 March 24 03:49 GMT (UK) »
There is a Widow Cleary listed in the 1834 (or 31?)  tythe valuation of the parish of Kilmore, Co. Cavan, townland of Kevitt.
The NAI list this under Kilmore, Co. Mayo, but I believe they are mistaken.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 March 24 03:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a William Cleary listed in the 1833 tythe valuation of the parish of Kilmore, Co. Wexford.