Author Topic: CATHERINE(KATE) MUSGRAVE (NEE McELROY FROM NEWCASTLE ENGLAND ) DIED 1891 AGE 37.  (Read 243 times)

Offline Doreen Peacock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is my Gt. G.Mother. She left England from Plymouth, in Compta 1882., HAVING REDUCED HER AGE WHEN BOARDING THE COMPTA. ARRIVING IN ROCKHAMPTON/COOKTOWN QSLD, AUSTRALIA.

She  met HENRY MUSGRAVE (Originally FROM Cork, Ireland who arrived QSLD IN 1863 AS BABE IN ARMS) on sailing ship The Light Brigade.....with HENRY/JULIA MUSGRAVE - PARENTS; CHILDREN -  MARGARET, BRIDGET, JOHN, JOHNANNA, MARY, CATHERINE, WILLIAM, JULIA, HENRY (INFANT).

HENRY was 9 years younger than Kate... AND OUR CATHERINE McELROY, SET UP HOME AND HAD...
VERA INEZ LUCY MUSGRAVE 1883 - 1885;
HERBERT CECIL MUSGRAVE 1885-1963;  MARRIED HILDA J. HARDING;
ALICE MURIAL MUSGRAVE 1886 - 1947 MARRIED WM. McGRATH;
GERTRUDE IDA MUSGRAVE 1889 - 1983 MARRIED WHYLIE HARDING.

CATHERINE (KATE McELROY) MARRIED  HENRY MUSGRAVE, AFTER THE BIRTH OF THEIR LAST CHILD  GERTRUDE IDA, IN 1889, AND SHE DIED TWO YEARS LATER IN 1891.

IT LOOKS LIKE OUR  HENRY MUSGRAVE  MAY HAVE MARRIED EMILY J. GALBRAITH IN 1897.  THERE WAS A MENTION OF A HOUSE FIRE IN TROVE ARCHIVES AFTER SHE DIED....

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO SPONSORED OUR KATE McELROY IN PLYMOUTH, TO GO TO QSLD AND MORE ABOUT HER LIFE WITH HENRY MUSGRAVE, AND ANY STEP CHILDREN TO HENRY'S SECOND WIFE.

OUR KATE LEFT HER FIRST ILLEGITIMATE SON, BACK IN ENGLAND WITH SHIELS, THE  ADOPTIVE PARENTS, SHE LODGED WITH; AND HE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THE TRUE FACTS SURROUNDING HIS MOTHER. IT BEING SURROUNDED IN THE ODD FACT; LOTS OF FICTION, LIES AND MYTHS...

IT TOOK US A LONG TIME TO PIECE HER JOURNEY; to FINDING THE ERRANT FATHER OF HER FIRST BORN SON...... (GEORGE WILLIAM BEST McELROY ...ADOPTED INTO SHIEL FAMILY - HE IS MY MATERNAL GRANDFATHER);

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW SHE DIED., AND HOW HENRY MADE HIS LIVING DURING THEIR MARRIAGE - TO PUT MORE DETAILS INTO THE SKETCHY FACTS WE HAVE NOW UNEARTHED.

WE KNOW SHE IS BURIED IN BUNDABERG CEMETARY AND LINKS HER BACK TO HER BIRTH IN NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND. HER FATHER ORIGINATES FROM CO. MONAGHAN, IRELAND.

HER PARENTS PETER AND CATHERINE McELROY (NEE SMITH) CONFIRMED

OUR KATE'S D.O.B  2/12/1854  NEWCASTLE, ENGLAND. D.O.D.  QSLD 24/9/1891.
BUNDERBERG. CATHOLIC CEMETARY. PLOT 2 -92C 
MEMORIAL ID 176214095
MEMORIAL ADDED 13/02/2023 250554172.

ANY LITTLE DETAILS ABOUT THEIR OR EXTENDED FAMILIES WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, AS I WAS ALSO ADOPTED....AND TRACED MY BIRTH MOTHER  WITHOUT KNOWING MY BIRTH NAME OR ANY DETAILS, AND NO CHANCE OF OBTAINING IT....SO SET ABOUT CHANGING THE LAW....I FOUND MY INFORMATION BY BREAKING THE RULES, AND THE LAW BEFORE IT WAS CHANGED IN 1975. MY MOTHER BEING(a granddaughter of Catherine McElroy and daughter of George Wm. Best, McElroy Shiel - the first born son of Catherine...and who was left behind in England with no information about his background.

The women in the family were formidable and resolute characters. Fascinating people and lives.

Thank you for reading my Branch of family tree. I hope you may be able to help, if only a few or small facts to put more pieces of information and colour into my personal family history.  ;)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CATHERINE(KATE) MUSGRAVE (NEE McELROY FROM NEWCASTLE ENGLAND ) DIED 1891 AGE 37.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 19:20 GMT (UK) »

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW SHE DIED., AND HOW HENRY MADE HIS LIVING DURING THEIR MARRIAGE - TO PUT MORE DETAILS INTO THE SKETCHY FACTS WE HAVE NOW
HER PARENTS PETER AND CATHERINE McELROY (NEE SMITH) CONFIRMED

I am sure you were given the link to her death certificate in an earlier thread. You can buy an online PDF for $A24.70.

Did it not have her cause of death?

https://www.familyhistory.bdm.qld.gov.au/

Offline Doreen Peacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CATHERINE(KATE) MUSGRAVE (NEE McELROY FROM NEWCASTLE ENGLAND ) DIED 1891 AGE 37.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 20:05 GMT (UK) »
THANK YOU mckha489. life happened and long illness - i overlooked that message for PDF, and not good on manipulating computer (80 this year :D) will have to get granddaughter to assist me to apply when she's home from Uni.

What else and where else could I glean information about life back in 1880's plus? seen a few photographs on line; but would love to get hold of books, or  government/social reports of districts they lived in, to see what was happening where they lived. Did they have the equivilent of our Charles Dickens using social factors, back then, used in topical stories to get the feel of life in those pioneering times?