Author Topic: Victorian House builder  (Read 295 times)

Offline Camelot2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Victorian House builder
« on: Wednesday 13 March 24 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all I trust you are all well and good and once again I applaud you all for all the hard work you do and for an exceptional site. I havent been on for some time and had no idea how to begin again, but thanks to Carole W and I think sbadger, I am now able to post my question to you. A victorian mid-terrace house in Workington Cumberland, 41 Londsdale street was, as the very informative deed documents inform, built around 1880 and James Cotter Jolley in conjunction with two other people were given permission to build on what I believes was Curwen estate land. James also had estate or dwelling houses on Peter Street, and Whitfield street, also in Workington nearby. He James appeared to be in business with a Mr Whitfield, and a Mr Milburn, there is still a Milburns solicitors in Workington which may be connected. James was born in 1837 in Workington I think, and died I think in 1898. Sorry I havent got more to go on but its hard going trying to read the writing on the legal document in relation to the land purchase agreement. James and his family lived in number 41 Londsdale street, and occupied the house next door, and may well have ran his business from there too. Phew! Many thanks everyone. Camelot2

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian House builder
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Camelot.

I am not sure what your question is.
 Are you trying to identify Mr Whitfield & Mr Milburn?

Offline Camelot2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry MC I wasnt really sure how to phrase my question. James Cotter Jolley who I think may have built the houses 41 Londsdale street Workington and next door is my main interest sorry. The legal document from the 1800s mentions Whitfield and Milburn too. Take care.  Camelot 2

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Does this help at all?

London Gazette entry (5 October 1883)

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership hereto-fore subsisting between us the undersigned, James Cotter Jolley and James Perrin, as Builders, at Workington, in the county of Cumberland, under the style or firm of Jolley and Perrin, has this day been dissolved by mutual consent.
—As witness our hands this 29th day of September, 1883.
James C. Jolley.
James Perrin.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Maybe something in here that helps:

From the The Maryport Advertiser, West Cumberland Mail.  29 January 1898

Death of Mr. J.C. Jolley
Workington
On Monday, Mr James Cotter Jolley, builder and contractor, Workington, expired at his residence in Lonsdale Street, at the age of 61.  Death was due to influenza, from which deceased had only been suffering for a fortnight.  Mr Jolley was born at Liverpool, where his father carried on building operations.  After spending his youth in Liverpool, deceased removed to Barlow and from thence to Workington, where he has lived for 22 years.  His many important contracts include extensive work at the Commercial and Moss Bay Hotels and the Presbyterian Church.  During the past two years he had been busily employed at Bank Field by Mr Peter Iredale.  His demise is generally regretted. There were few of the older inhabitants who did not know him and admire his frank and jovial nature.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 19:21 GMT (UK) »
In 1901, the death notice for his widow, Catherine, says she resided at 42 Lonsdale, Workington.

Offline Camelot2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow everyone you are all awesome thank you!! I think Catherine was mentioned. Wow blown away! Way better than Ancestry Uk you should all give yourselves a huge pat on the back! Take care. H ;)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 20:32 GMT (UK) »
We are all happy to help here at Rootschat!  :)

There is also a brief death notice in the Workington Star, 28 Jan 1898 for James, builder, that confirms his address as 42 Lonsdale, and date of death as the 24th of January.

Is this all you were after, or do you want a hand looking back on his life?

Offline Camelot2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 March 24 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi bbart not sure if I replied sorry yes further info would be greatly appreciated thanks take care. C🤗