Author Topic: Arthur Ernest Smith 1895-1971  (Read 790 times)

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Ernest Smith 1895-1971
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 March 24 18:29 GMT (UK) »
This is my theory for what it is worth - given what we know.

We cannot at the moment find any RN service record for him and that may be because he may have served in the Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR). Little in the way of records survive for these men. Many were merchant seamen who signed T124 agreements and variants and who kept their civilian pay and conditions but were subject to naval discipline - they were Naval Auxiliary Personnel (NAP) and wore RN uniform. They were under the command and control of the RN. 

He was a signalman (crossed flags) according to his branch badge on his right arm.

There was an Arthur E. Smith - signal boy aboard the Admiralty Yacht WINTONIA who served in the (MMR). See the attached medal file.

WINTONIA (ex-LADYE MAISRY), hired yacht, Pendant No 020. Built 1894, 168grt/233TM. In service 3.11.14-6.4.15. May have served as wireless-equipped A/P Group Leader or in special yacht squadrons, at home or in Mediterranean.

This yacht would also be similar to HMY BACCHANTE.

do you know if there are crew lists anywhere?

As those ships were effectively under Royal Navy control and not operating under Mercantile agreements there won't be any crew lists unfortunately.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Macj99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 March 24 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information. It is all very interesting and kind of fits my research findings to date. Do you know if either of the yachts you mentioned were in Le Havre 1915-1920. And where did you find the information about Arthur e Smith - signal boy?

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 March 24 10:42 GMT (UK) »
And where did you find the information about Arthur e Smith - signal boy?
The information comes from ADM 171/132 - page 400 obtainable from TNA Kew. There is no further information to be gleaned other than what I have shown, namely his medal file which shows the award of the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal and a named ship.

I have no information on the movements of either ship.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Macj99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 March 24 11:35 GMT (UK) »
thank you Hugh the information you have given me has been very helpful in providing information of what Arthur was involved in during WW1, like so many of the men of the period. It helps bring to life the person. thank you for giving your time in finding the information, my elderly uncle, cousin and myself are so grateful. regards Joy

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 March 24 22:15 GMT (UK) »
In the BNA there is an item from the West London Observer issue of (Friday) 4th December 1914 which mentions: "Three boys. Arthur Salmon. Norman Watson. and Arthur Smith, have been accepted by the Admiralty as signal boys for coast patrol vessels, and joined their ships on Tuesday."

Offline Macj99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 March 24 12:12 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the newpaper article