Author Topic: Emigration/naturalization of William Foster a.k.a. William J. Dempsey  (Read 2432 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Emigration/naturalization of William Foster a.k.a. William J. Dempsey
« on: Thursday 14 March 24 09:53 GMT (UK) »
After researching several DNA matches that all led back to a man named William J. Dempsey, several forum users managed to discover he was actually identical to William Foster, born 30 June 1900 in Liverpool (discussion here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=879949.0).

The only time he was truthful about where he was born was on his WWII draft card; in all US censuses he stated he was from Ireland. However, try as I (and others) may, there seem to be no records of either his naturalization, immigration and/or surname change. Additionally, William apparently was still married when he left the UK and possibly did not want to be found..

Here are the facts.

30 June 1900 - born as William Foster to Thomas Foster & Agnes Prince in Liverpool, Lancashire
1901 & 1911 UK census - living with parents at 7 Robertson Str, L'pool
03 Mar 1919 - as William Foster arriving in New York on board the 'Belgic'; address 7 Robertson Str, L'pool
11 Jan 1921 - as William Foster, marriage to Elizabeth Howard of 38 Robertson Str, L'pool
1921 UK census - with wife Elizabeth & son Thomas living with in-laws at 38 Robertson Str, L'pool
1925 NY state census - as William Dempsey with wife-to-be Adeline A. Sanders living with in-laws, Hampstead, Nassau, NY; alien, born Ireland
06 Sep 1925 - as William Dempsey, marriage to Adeline A. Sanders, Roosevelt, NY
01 Sep 1928 - as William J. Dempsey, marriage to Alma Denton, Freeport, NY
1930 US Federal census - as William Dempsey, with wife Alma living with in-laws; status unknown, born Ireland
(1931 - marriage Elizabeth Howard-Foster to Gerard J. Burke; divorce?)
1940 US Federal census - as William Dempsey, Hempstead, Nassau, NY; citizen, born NY
1950 US Federal census - as William J. Dempsey, Hempstead, Nassau, NY; citizen, born Ireland

I suspect William became a US citizen sometime between 1931 and 1940, but I cannot seem to find proof for both that and his immigration. So any help with slotting this final piece of the puzzle in place would be very much appreciated!
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration/naturalization of William Foster a.k.a. William J. Dempsey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 March 24 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I’ve not referred to your prior post.  Just looking at this post’s details:

1925 census
William Dempsey. Number of years in the U.S. - 2

Columbia departed Northern Ireland 2 September 1922, destination New York.
William J. Dempsey, age 22.  Carpenter. Last address in the UK: Lismahucheon?, Culleybackey?
Country of last permanent residence: Ireland.  Country of future permanent residence: USA

Could this be your William?  (Either living briefly in Ireland or fibbing about living there)

UPDATE: Wrong William.  The above William James was born 21 January 1901.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 March 24 12:24 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that he never naturalised. 1930 doesn't indicate either way, neither does 1940 as he claims to be born US. In order to naturalise, he would have to have given his date of arrival and have it checked - and if he didn't arrive under the name William Dempsey, that might have caused him some issues.

Incidentally, for the 1919 arrival, as he was travelling as crew, you should probably try to see if you can find merchant seaman record for him. Perhaps he jumped ship somewhere.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seamen-serving-since-1918/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 March 24 12:50 GMT (UK) »
1925 census - William Dempsey. Number of years in the U.S. - 2 [..] Wrong William.  The above William James was born 21 January 1901.

Yep, saw him as well when trawling through pages and pages of Williams. So frustrating..
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 March 24 12:59 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that he never naturalised.

That's my feeling as well. Especially if he never officially divorced wife #1, though that makes me wonder how she could've remarried in 1930.

Perhaps he jumped ship somewhere.

Except he popped back up in the UK because he married wife #1 there in 1921. As per the 1925 census he arrived there somewhere between late 1922 and 1924, but I think anything William said should be taken with a grain of salt..

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 March 24 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Consider myself intrigued .....

I found reference in the Nassau Daily Review to the death of Adeline Dempsey of Roosevelt who died September 11, 1925 (in a memoriam published 10 years later):

https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/?a=d&d=tnd19350911-01.1.22&srpos=2&e=-------en-20--1-byDA-txt-txIN-%22adeline+dempsey%22-------Nassau--

The original newspaper article from 1925 is not part of this collection. From the NY State Death Index:

Name   Adeline A. Dempsey
Death Date   10 Sep 1925
Death Place   Hempstead, New York, USA
Certificate Number   54014

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 March 24 15:49 GMT (UK) »
William's marriage record in 1921 indicates he is a seaman.  There is a William Foster born abt. 1900 who makes many trips from the UK to the US (and beyond) in the four years from 1921-1925 so he could have just resigned from the crew and stayed in the US:

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Consider myself intrigued .....

The very reason for my continued search  ;D

The man was my 1st cousin 2x removed, and but for DNA testing, I'd never have known he existed. But his story is just.. fascinating! He marries, has a son, and then.. got restless? Can't find him as a sailor; his marriage certificate and the 1921 Liverpool census both list him as a 'barman'. I think that was the other William Foster who erroneously got appended in the family tree (b. 1898).

Thank you for the newspaper link wrt Adeline. She died four days after their marriage; I wonder what that story is all about.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:22 GMT (UK) »
"She died four days after their marriage"

Uh oh, that sounds like a George Joseph Smith type situation.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis