Author Topic: Emigration/naturalization of William Foster a.k.a. William J. Dempsey  (Read 2438 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration/naturalization of William Foster a.k.a. William J. Dempsey
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a reference on the ship record for the Homeric arriving in New York on 5 July 1923 for a William Foster who signed on 27 June 1923 who deserted (along with many others).  This would be the "trimmer" one.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 March 24 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, replying again without fully reading/comprehending the replies, but you mentioned that he was born in Liverpool.  Is it possible that he travelled back and forth between Liverpool and Ireland, possibly in search of work?  Did he live in an Irish neighbourhood (in Liverpool) and perhaps pick up an even stronger Irish accent?  If he intentionally changed his surname, it may have been somewhat easy for him to say he was Irish if he could imitate the accent.

I believe it was mentioned that he gave an English place of birth only on his draft reg card…he possibly told the truth to avoid any stiff penalties for giving false information.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 March 24 20:05 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that he never naturalised.

That's my feeling as well. Especially if he never officially divorced wife #1, though that makes me wonder how she could've remarried in 1930.

Possibly wife no. 1 declared William missing/dead and was able to remarry without being divorced?  :-\   Do you know the last time (year) they were actually living together?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 March 24 20:26 GMT (UK) »
I've checked in Newspapers.com and not seen anything noted.

Could you see whether that site has announcements for William's marriage to both Adeline A Sanders (06 Sep 1925, Roosevelt NY) and Alma Denton (01 Sep 1928, Freeport NY) ? I'm really curious whether there is more information there.

Here's a link to the marriage announcement to Alma Denton in 1928 (on page 2):

https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/?a=d&d=tnd19280904-01.1.2&e=------192-en-20-tdr%2cfpo%2ctnd-1--txt-txIN-alma+denton----1928---Nassau-Freeport-

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 March 24 20:50 GMT (UK) »
When was Elizabeth Howard Foster Burke born?  An interesting newspaper article from the Liverpool Echo in 1945:

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 March 24 21:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a reference on the ship record for the Homeric arriving in New York on 5 July 1923 for a William Foster who signed on 27 June 1923 who deserted (along with many others).  This would be the "trimmer" one.

I checked the declaration of intention for the 1898 William (says he's an 'oiler'), and he states he arrived on/about 01 July 1923 on the 'Franconia'. That checks out, so this really may be 'my' William!
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 March 24 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, replying again without fully reading/comprehending the replies, but you mentioned that he was born in Liverpool.  Is it possible that he travelled back and forth between Liverpool and Ireland, possibly in search of work?..

We basically have him tracked from birth up to and including the 1921 UK census (all as William Foster) only to pop up as William Dempsey in the 1925 NY state census. It's 100% certain it's the same guy (DNA verified), so it's now about finding his US immigration & naturalization.
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 March 24 21:09 GMT (UK) »
In the 1945 electoral roles, this Elizabeth Burke is living at 16 Gill Street with a Margaret Dempsey. No husband noted in the household.

In the same year, there is a Gerard John Burke living at 77 Miles Street (no wife indicated). In the 1930s, Gerard John Burke and Elizabeth Burke are living at 5 Wesley Street and 17 Carlton Hill and 122 Windsor Street.

Margaret and Elizabeth are already living together by 1935-36.

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 March 24 21:09 GMT (UK) »

Here's a link to the marriage announcement to Alma Denton in 1928 ..

Awesome, thanks!