Author Topic: Illegitimate Birth  (Read 1898 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate Birth
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Bbart, your last post is a bit odd. Do you think you might have some facts confused?

Julies198 expressed concern about the marriage of Catherine Armstrong to William Ridley Dixon.  I am agreeing that it appears it is NOT for the Catherine Armstrong/Dixon, mother of William Armstrong, as William Armstrong appears to belong to the "Lanercost Armstrongs", not the "Shaddongate Armstrongs". 

If your concern is regarding the John Armstrong with the Watsons, that is based on the scrap of a marriage that William Armstrong had in his possession.  It appears to be a match for a marriage of a Catherine Dixon marrying a George Andrew Watson, and looking at the 1901, 1911, and 1921 census' for this couple, they have Catherine's brother John, living with them.  Catherine and John's ages  and birth locations do match that of the Lanercost Armstrongs' where you found William born Scotland.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the Hannah Armstrong/Robert Dixon marriage in Weardale:
The transcription at FindMyPast shows Hannah's father as Robert Armstrong, and place of marriage as Wolsingham.

I was under the impression that julies198 was looking for marriages for Ann Amstrong to Thomas Mitchelson,
and Mary Armstrong to Robert Dixon.  See replies 15 and 18
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, I did put the wrong name.  Good catch! Over ten hours of reading news articles of Dixons' must have taken its toll!

The marriage transcribed at FindMyPast is for Hannah Armstrong and Thomas Mitchelson:
First name(s)    Hannah
Spouse's first name(s)    Thomas
Last name    Armstrong
Spouse's last name    Mitchelson
Spouse's birth year    1843
Age    38
Spouse's birth date    1843
Marriage year    1883
Spouse's age    40
Marriage date    05 Jul 1883
Spouse's father's first name(s)    Thomas
Residence    Wolsingham, Durham, England
Spouse's father's last name    Mitchelson

Offline julies198

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help on this. I have found the Catherine Dixon (nee. Armstrong) that married George Watson is definitely the right Catherine. I still can't find a previous marriage for a Catherine Armstrong to a Dixon so can only assume she was not legally married. Perhaps they didn't need to show a previous marriage certificate to marry.

Ann Armstrong who "married" Thomas Mitchelson is definitely the right family however again I can't find a marriage but again maybe they just did not marry but said they did.

John Armstrong b. 1856 is Catherine and Ann's brother who lived with his sisters throughout his life and I have found his death whereby he has committed suicide. There was an inquest so I am wondering does anyone know if you can get copies of historical inquests? I can't find any obituary
but not sure if I am looking in the right place. I use British Newspapers Archive website.