Author Topic: Illegitimate Birth  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate Birth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 March 24 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Armstrong
Baptism 22 Nov 1853 Lanercost
Parents William Armstrong and Mary nee Graham
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/616dce8ff493fd037c2d1e83/catharine-armstrong-baptism-cumberland-lanercost-1853-11-22?locale=en

Birth registration
ARMSTRONG, CATHERINE       Mother - GRAHAM 
GRO Reference: 1848  D Quarter in BRAMPTON  Volume 25  Page 51

Marriage for William ARMSTRONG to Mary GRAHAM 1842 Carlisle
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6VTM-SQRN
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 March 24 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Ah-ha!     This could be William Dixon in 1881 census. Difficult to find as his place of birth is wrong.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2WM-DHQX

I wonder if he has been recorded twice by mistake.

This is definitely 1881 census for William, with surname error.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q271-PRTX
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 March 24 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if William had a ½ brother.
In 1911 census, there is a Joseph Dixon age 41 a shipyard labourer born Longtown, Cumberland, living with Aunt Ann Mitchelson nee Armstrong.
There is a corresponding birth registration for Joseph in 1869, with mother – Armstrong.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 March 24 07:30 GMT (UK) »
You lot are simply wonderful!....Grabbing facts, researching and voila perhaps three threads bound together.

Congratulations...hopefully OP will be pleased!

Offline julies198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 March 24 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow! I am overwhelmed with all of this information. Thank you to everyone

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 March 24 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Julies198, Thanks for coming back to reply.  :)
Let us know if you need any more help with this family. Best to do so by adding to this thread, rather than starting a new one.

Offline julies198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 March 24 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have looked into everything that you all suggested and found that William is definitely Ann's nephew however I have hit two stumbling blocks

Firstly, I cannot find a marriage for Ann at all. I found her on the 1851 census at home with her parents (age 5) then I fund her in 1871 with husband, Thomas Mitchelson. I can find Thomas on the 1871 census living census living with his parents so assuming they got married between 1864 and 1871 but can't find a marriage anywhere  ???

Secondly, Catherine who is Williams mother and assuming she married William Ridley Dixon then went on to marry George Watson - all ages add up etc however I found the probate for William Ridley Dixon with his wife Catherine Dixon living at Shadongate, Carlisle. The same Catherine Dixon is living there in 1871 but with her parents William and Ann Armstrong. It is not the same William Armstrong as the William Armstrong who is the correct Catherines father is living with his wife Mary in 1871 and William Dixon their grandson.

I thought it was all worked out but now I am not too sure

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 March 24 16:51 GMT (UK) »

Secondly, Catherine who is Williams mother and assuming she married William Ridley Dixon then went on to marry George Watson - all ages add up etc however I found the probate for William Ridley Dixon with his wife Catherine Dixon living at Shadongate, Carlisle. The same Catherine Dixon is living there in 1871 but with her parents William and Ann Armstrong. It is not the same William Armstrong as the William Armstrong who is the correct Catherines father is living with his wife Mary in 1871 and William Dixon their grandson.

It looks like Catherine from Shaddongate, didn't remarry and died in Carlisle in 1936 aged 91. On the 1911 census she says she had no children. (It does appear that quite a few of the trees on ancestry have linked this Catherine and William Ridley Dixon to William Armstrong(Dixon))

As Catherine was in Scotland at the time of William's birth, she could have married in Scotland?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 March 24 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if William had a ½ brother.
In 1911 census, there is a Joseph Dixon age 41 a shipyard labourer born Longtown, Cumberland, living with Aunt Ann Mitchelson nee Armstrong.
There is a corresponding birth registration for Joseph in 1869, with mother – Armstrong.

Perhaps worth buying this birth cert image. (It’s one of the ones available for £2.50)