Author Topic: Church of Ireland Baptisms  (Read 397 times)

Offline MissSarah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church of Ireland Baptisms
« on: Friday 15 March 24 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm searching for an ancestors baptism record, because I cannot locate his birth registration x  Family was Chirch of Ireland, his parents married in Banbridge, Co.Down x  How can I view the baptism records for this place please?x

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Church of Ireland Baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 March 24 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked irishgenealogy.ie leaving the first name blank?
rootsireland has some C of I baptisms, but not suere if they have them that late.
If you want to give the name, people can try help.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 24 17:22 GMT (UK) »

MissSarah,

You have mistakenly posted on "How to Use RootsChat board (Please don't post requests here)".
I have asked a moderator to move your request to a more appropriate board where you might find an answer.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 24 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi MissSarah

What year was this person born….. and where?

Regards

Offline MissSarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 March 24 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Kiltaglassin , I wasn't sure where to post what  because it's been a long time since I posted anything. By an accident that I posted this here by pressing a button . When you say not to post here, what do you mean?and how do I post somewhere for Church of Ireland Baptisms please?

Offline MissSarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 March 24 08:03 GMT (UK) »
LH sorry , I don't now know if I can post here, another person said I can't x And I don't know where my post was moved to  to be able to find it again! X
 Person was born in 1884, I think registered in Banbridge, parents married there a year before x The trouble is, I cannot find his birth registration anywhere, hence why I'm searching for baptism record x

Offline MissSarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 March 24 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Dublin1850 I have x I cannot find his birth registration,  so looking for baptisms x I only know how to use irishgenealogy for births, marriages and deaths x  I have found his marriage and I have a copy of death certificate x
 Am I correct in saying if a child was not registered,  they all had to be baptised?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 March 24 09:10 GMT (UK) »
The PRONI guide to church records says that the Banbridge COI records start in 1802 (Seapatrick parish). They have a copy from 1802 up to the mid 1900s. PRONI doesn’t have them on-line so a personal visit is required to view them.

To answer your question about mandatory baptism, no it wasn't mandatory, and not everyone was baptised. Plus some were baptised later in life. You sometimes see batch baptisms where a whole string of children in the same family were all baptised at once, some many years after their birth. So you need to search widely at times.
Elwyn

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 March 24 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Kiltaglassin , I wasn't sure where to post what  because it's been a long time since I posted anything. By an accident that I posted this here by pressing a button . When you say not to post here, what do you mean?and how do I post somewhere for Church of Ireland Baptisms please?

You originally posted on the board entitled "How to Use RootsChat (Please don't post requests here)"
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)