Author Topic: Henry Richards and Daughter Margaret  (Read 292 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Henry Richards and Daughter Margaret
« on: Friday 15 March 24 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I may have found my g-g-grandfather, but cannot be sure. If right, he had a half-brother called Henry Richards b.1841 in Troedyraur, Cardiganshire. Now I want to follow his family forward to see if I can find DNA matches.

He appears on most censuses from 1841 to 1901, though I am not certain in 1871, when single and probably in London.
1881 Census: St Bartholomew, Middlesex . RG11 . Piece/Folio 374/109 . Page 11 – Henry is a provisions dealer, it names his wife as Hannah and there is a son Daniel Richards 2 Bow, Middlesex and daughter Margaret Richards 0.
Between 1884 and 1901 Anna/Anne/Hannah died. Daniel died as an infant. Henry with remaining children move to Cardiganshire.
1891 Census: Troedyraur, Cardiganshire . RG12 . Piece/Folio 4548/ 47 . Page 5 Henry is a Grocer with  Margaret Richards 10 and Eleanor Richards 6 both born in London.
1901 Census: Troedyraur, Cardiganshire . Schedule 7 . Piece/Folio 42 . Page 1
and then General Labourer. Only Margaret (Maggie) is with him.

Now I am struggling and need some help: I cannot find Henry in 1911. If he remained in the Troedyraur area, a death should be registered in Newcastle Emlyn, but I cannot find anything, so did he move?
There is a Henry Richards in Aberayron b.1840, but having delved deeper it is not him.

From the children, it looks like mmn was Davi(e)s and these are the most likely registrations:
Daniel Richards . Apr-Jun 1879 . London City . Volume 01c . Page 18
Margaret Jane Richards . Oct-Dec 1880 . Poplar . Volume 01c  Page 663
Eleanor Henrietta Elizabeth Richards . Apr-Jun 1884 . St Saviour Surrey . Volume 01d . Page 107 (It fits with mmn and could link with a death registration for Anna.) Daniel Richards died as a young infant.

I found a death registration for Eleanor in Eastleigh, Hampshire, 1977. Her full name and birth date matches. There is probate which might tell me something.

In wanting to move forward I am already stuck, and on my last option. What happened to Margaret? There is a marriage if Margaret also used Jane: Jul-Sep 1909. Newcastle Emlyn . Volume 11b . Page 43. Margaret Jane Richards married either Daniel Lloyd or Thomas Davies. I have looked for both surnames and found nothing.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Richards and Daughter Margaret
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 March 24 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Jane Lloyd husband Daniel & 2 children   

Gives her birth as 1880 Llangeler, Carmarthenshire, Wales

Living Dangraig Fach Llangeler Nr Llandyssil, Cardiganshire

Unable to post full details of 1911

Added: 1921 free index also gives POB as Carmarthenshire

1939 same place  DOB  - 26 Feb 1880

RICHARDS, MARGARET  JANE     mmn DAVIES 
GRO Reference: 1880  M Quarter in NEWCASTLE IN EMLYN  Volume 11B  Page 21

Does not look likely the Margaret you are seeking.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 24 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I looked into that marriage and ruled it out. Margaret Jane was born in London. As I could not find her in 1911, I feel she had married. That one looked the best option in having both names, but she could have only used Margaret. The problem is, two common names in West Wales.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 24 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking through newspapers, there's a few references to Miss Maggie Richards of Llwyncerdinen (1891 address), Troedyraur or Glanaber winning prizes at various eisteddfodau.

An interesting one is from 1902 - the Newcastle Emlyn eisteddfod, when a Miss Maggie Richards of Llanelli won a contralto competition

I lose sight of Maggie and Henry round and about 1903

An interesting development is that there's a Daniel  Richards, 37,  at Glanaber in 1911, although he's from Pembrokeshire

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 March 24 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Silly me! I searched the newspapers with Margaret Richards when on the census she was known as Maggie. I was not aware of the Troedyraur address when they returned. I should have responded earlier, but your information made me look.

One article of 1893 says: ‘Solo i blant dan 15eg oed, Miss Maggie Richards, Rhydlewis’  ‘Solo for under 15s, Miss Maggie Richards, Rhydlewis ‘ Maggie was born in 1880 so she would be 12½ years old. Something in my head links Henry Richards with Rhydlewis, but I had forgotten until reading these articles. Now I need to find that information. Miss Maggie Richards of Llanelly I feel is not her. For an Eisteddfod they would travel miles to complete. There is also a Maggie Richards competing from New Quay. Henry Richard also competed for the over 50s. The last mention of Maggie was 1903 age 23, and then what happened? Is that when she married and stopped performing, or performed under another name?

There seems to be interlocking families in Troedyraur, the Haverfordwest areas in Pembrokeshire and Laugharne in Carmarthenshire. My family links to all of those areas and feel they were related. That is what I would like to show.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 March 24 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I have found Eleanor in 1921 and 1939. In 1911, I think she was a nurse at Winick Mental Hospital, near Warrington, Lancashire. There is also a death registration and Probate.

On the 1911 or 1921 censuses, I cannot find Henry Richards, nor can I find a death registration. A newspaper article said where he was living in the early 1900s, so Electoral Registers may list him, and a visit to the library. In wanting to move the family line forwards, he is not my main interest.

Something clearly happened. Considering the information found, I find it strange that both Henry and Maggie totally disappear. Maggie was performing and competing until 1903, age 23 and then there is no mention of her, at least as Richards. I cannot find her on the 1911 or 1921 censuses in Wales or England and no death registration. The other options would be marriage, or emigration. In 1903, she was still performing under Miss Maggie Richards. I have checked two marriages registered in Newcastle Emlyn 1901 and 1909, with possible husbands Davies, Lloyd and Morris. She is not listed on the 1911 or 1921 censuses under any of those names. For someone performing and mentioned in newspapers, I would have expected a marriage to be in the newspaper. Maybe she did not officially marry, but assumed his name. Performing in other areas, she could have met and married elsewhere.

As I cannot find Maggie, tracing that line forward is on hold, as I do not know where to look next. Thanks for the responses.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 March 24 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I might have a later sighting, working on the basis that Maggie was not only a performer but led/conducted groups

1909 newspapers mention Easter celebrations in the parish of Llandyssiliogogo , including a new leader of singing Miss Maggie Richards of Maesgwyn

1911 census has  Henry Richards, widower aged 71 b Troedyraur, address Maesgwyn, Cross Inn Llandyssiliogogo
(I realise no you had a separate post on this census entry - might have counted him out, but maybe he should be under consideration)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 March 24 21:03 GMT (UK) »
And again in 1910 - meeting of the Temperance Union, Dyffryn Cranog

Cafwyd can ragorol gan Miss Maggie Richards, Maesgwyn.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 March 24 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I had not made the connection with Troedyraur and there was a Henry Richards born 1840 in Aberayron. On the census it said; Marital Status: GWEDW, Occupation: TARI BURY, so I asked for a translation. The writing on the census appears badly written. The first letter of Tari could be Y?? However there is a census occupation code which appears to be 749 which for the 1911 census is "749 Paviours, Road Labourers - Others " That did not fit with a grocer who had reached 71, but maybe it is right. In looking at both, I was questioning the similarities, but still assumed they were different families, though possibly related in their naming patterns. It was very strange that both totally disappeared. I will dig a little deeper.