Author Topic: What happened to Betsy Smith, Cromdale from 1881  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Betsy Smith, Cromdale from 1881
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 March 24 07:40 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=rosie17 link=topic=881211.msg7537682#msg7537682 date=171062464

—————-
I can see from the 1881 census address Coignafearn Moy

Is this not the family on the 1891 census Coignascalan Moy and Dalarossie ?

Donald Macrae age 60 shepherd
Maggie Macrae age 49 sister
Betse Mcbean age 33 recorded as niece born Inverness
Jessie Mcbean age 10 recorded as granddaughter born Dalarossie
Jessie McLennon age 29 visitor
James Ferguson age 10 visitor

Viewing the original on Scotlandspeople will let you see if Betse Mcbean is a widow.

Rosie
—————————
[/quote]

Thanks Rosie

Yes Betsy is indeed described as a widow in the 1891 Census entry you found, as well as her daughter Bella at another household.

So Betsy Smith b 1874 was not with her mother in 1891 or her aunt & uncle.  She was with the Macrae's in 1881

Sorry Carole, Betsy Smith was with her paternal grandparents Alexander and Margaret Smith in 1881 as mentioned (I have that Census record) but you are quite right that she was not with her mother or either of her siblings in 1891.

Stuart
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 March 24 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie,
Snap!
Stuart
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 March 24 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie,
Snap!
Stuart

Still no further advanced with Betsy born 1874  ???

Rosie

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 07:51 GMT (UK) »

[/quote]

Still no further advanced with Betsy born 1874  ???

Rosie
[/quote]

I’m in the same boat.

To sum up - based on SP she doesn’t seem to be recorded in the 1891 Census when she would have been about 16 with no evidence she died before then.

If that is the case, I’m now wondering if she had left Scotland by 1891.

It’s possible she stayed with her Grandfather after her Grandmother died in 1885 until his death in 1888, but this is just speculation. She would have been about 14 when he died.

Stuart

Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 11:00 GMT (UK) »
The other thing I was thinking was maybe when the grandparents died she was Adopted and her name was changed .Nothing jumping out on immigration records either what record do you have for the father John Smith 1881 census ?

Rosie

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 19:03 GMT (UK) »
The other thing I was thinking was maybe when the grandparents died she was Adopted and her name was changed .Nothing jumping out on immigration records either what record do you have for the father John Smith 1881 census ?

Rosie

I hadn’t thought of adoption but find out there are no records of adoptions before 1930 held by NRS, which doesn’t make things any easier.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/research-guides/research-guides-a-z/adoption-recordshttps://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/research-guides/research-guides-a-z/adoption-records

I think it very likely that you tracked down her half sister Jessie to Lymington, and wonder if Betsy may have moved to England appreciating this a very long shot.

I haven’t tracked down her father in the 1881 Census but will plod through the LDS record on SP which is free to access - nice to get some luck particularly as I am looking for a John Smith!

Stuart
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 March 24 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I have looked for Betsy in England but not much success I did see a few records for a Elizabeth Smyth/Smith born Scotland in Ireland . Clutching at straws here there was a marriage 1910 Downpatrick Ireland  for a Elizabeth Smith to a Thomas Fitzpatrick
Father's name John Smith ( farmer ) unfortunately the Irish records don't give much information. You can view the records free on civilrecords.irishgenealogy

Have you found John Smith in any census records I have only seen the one in 1851 ?

Rosie

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 March 24 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I have looked for Betsy in England but not much success I did see a few records for a Elizabeth Smyth/Smith born Scotland in Ireland . Clutching at straws here there was a marriage 1910 Downpatrick Ireland  for a Elizabeth Smith to a Thomas Fitzpatrick
Father's name John Smith ( farmer ) unfortunately the Irish records don't give much information. You can view the records free on civilrecords.irishgenealogy

Have you found John Smith in any census records I have only seen the one in 1851 ?

Rosie

Thank you for the information you’ve gleaned from the Irish genealogy site (which incidentally I enjoy exploring for other branches of the family- so easy to use and also free).

The only John Smith I’ve found in Census information who is a possibility is in the 1881 Census for Nairn, This John Smith is a lodger in 3 Douglas Street. He is described as a Flesher and Game dealer aged 35 born in Inverallan. There is no mention of Betsy

While Nairn is not that far from Speyside and his occupation would be consistent with his farming background his age is 1 or 2 years out from the only record I have of his birth. This is a page from a family New Testament in the Gaelic which lists the children born to Alexander and Margaret Smith at Skye of Curr. John’s birthdate is shown 24th April 1847.

Oddly have not been able to find a record of John’s birth on SP, also that of his brother George whose birthdate is shown in the New Testament page as 7th September 1848.

SP does have records of his sister Jane Ann born 1844 and brother James in 1842 so I’m wondering if the family moved to a different parish after 1844 and those records have been lost.

To be honest I’m not sure where to go next in trying to track Betsy down!

Stuart

Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 March 24 16:21 GMT (UK) »
It certainly is a bit of a mystery and challenge  ???
Yes did see that record for John Smith in Nairn .There doesn't seem to have been much contact with the family of Betsy Smith.You would have thought she would have been with her mother after the grandparents  died . :-\

Rosie