Author Topic: Charlotte Harriet Croft WAYLAND nee RYLAND born 1831  (Read 442 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Charlotte Harriet Croft WAYLAND nee RYLAND born 1831
« on: Saturday 16 March 24 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can shed light on the fate of Charlotte's marriage to William Robinson Wayland (son of Abraham Wayland) please?

She was daughter of Octavius Ryland (born 1800 and transported to Australia in 1850 for attempted blackmail) and Mary Ann Muggeridge born 1826.  Charlotte was baptised Aug 1831.

Confusingly there is another Charlotte H C Ryland - born 1820, daughter of John Croft Ryland (a brother to Octavius) and Maria Rebecca Harris/Narris.

Charlotte Ryland married William R Wayland in 1856.  They had two daughters, one born in 1859, (Isabella Augusta - possibly born overseas) and the other (Flora da or du Costa) born 1860 in Jamaica. Flora was baptised in London, England, in 1861.  Subsequent records show William R Wayland in England.

Then William R Wayland married Ada Matilda Woods in 1878 and they had 5 children.

However the records show Charlotte H C Wayland didn't die until 1883 if I have searched correctly.

Is there a record of a divorce anywhere?  William was a civil servant and had the freedom of the city of London via patrimony so would have had the money/influence I assume to afford a divorce.  Charlotte was the grandaughter of Harriet Frances Croft, and ggranddaughter of Sir Archer Croft, 3rd Baronet of Croft.  Possibly also influence if not money.

If there was a divorce, might there have been a newspaper article about this?

Thanks for reading.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Harriet Croft WAYLAND nee RYLAND born 1831
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 March 24 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The death record you have for Charlotte in 1883 has approx birth date as 1833, and findagrave has Croft as her maiden name so maybe this is a different person?

Also the birth dates for Flora and Isabel don't add up, how can they be born in the same year (Flora 10 Mar 1860 and Isabel 15 Jul 1860)?

Edit - the birth dates are from baptism records and 1939 register

Bethany
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 24 11:29 GMT (UK) »
It also looks like William and Ada Matilda were having children way before they married in 1878:

Florence Helen b.1862 mmn WOOD
William Abraham Edward b.1864 mmn WOODS
Annie Louise b.1867 mmn WOODS
Edward Robert b.1869 mmn WOODS

Can't find a 5th child?

And Ada Rebecca b.1857 has no mmn
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 March 24 11:35 GMT (UK) »
There is an obit in 1883 for Charlotte Harriet Croft, widow, of Kingston Jamaica. Can't see details as I don't have a sub.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 March 24 12:51 GMT (UK) »
The death record you have for Charlotte in 1883 has approx birth date as 1833, and findagrave has Croft as her maiden name so maybe this is a different person?

Also the birth dates for Flora and Isabel don't add up, how can they be born in the same year (Flora 10 Mar 1860 and Isabel 15 Jul 1860)?

Edit - the birth dates are from baptism records and 1939 register

Bethany

I could well have confused various Crofts but I found Charlotte Harriet Croft Wayland death 1883 in the civil registration of deaths.  GRO Reference: 1883  J Quarter in ISLINGTON  Volume 01B  Page 214

I found Flora's dob from her baptism record, and Kingston, Jamaica as birthplace in the 1881 census.  In other censuses she gives places in England including the Isle of Wight.  I couldn't find her in the GRO index.

I estimated Isabella Augusta's year of birth (1859) from her declared age [edit: 21] on her marriage cert. 27 Nov 1880.  I couldn't find her in the GRO index either which is why I thought she was also born overseas.

I have found discrepancies in year of birth in the 1939 register for various people I've searched for, so like to try to check with the GRO or other records. 
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 March 24 13:00 GMT (UK) »
There is an obit in 1883 for Charlotte Harriet Croft, widow, of Kingston Jamaica. Can't see details as I don't have a sub.

Intriguing.  Perhaps the full obit gives her married name and it was published in Jamaica as the couple lived there for a few years? Sometimes the transcriptions leave bits off. 

I have C H C Wayland death in Islington in 1883.  William Robinson Wayland died 1893.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 March 24 13:02 GMT (UK) »
It also looks like William and Ada Matilda were having children way before they married in 1878:

Florence Helen b.1862 mmn WOOD
William Abraham Edward b.1864 mmn WOODS
Annie Louise b.1867 mmn WOODS
Edward Robert b.1869 mmn WOODS

Can't find a 5th child?

And Ada Rebecca b.1857 has no mmn

I found Ada Rebecca Wayland with no MMN too and thought likely she was his.  Although difficult if he was in Jamaica!
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 March 24 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1939 register, I cannot see Isabella Augusta Jolliffe (nee Wayland) in the image, only the transcription which gives a dob. Where is that dob from as there are two redacted lines above the only Jolliffe  - Isabella M born 31 July 1884, secretary (unpaid).

Edit: in the 1911 census and others the age she gives makes her born abt 1861. GRO death index age 85. GRO Reference: 1946  J Quarter in BRIGHTON  Volume 02B  Page 315  also making her born 1861.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 March 24 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Two free to view entries on FindMyPast for Charlotte Croft 1883
25th April Daily News (London)
2nd December Reynolds Newspaper, London
WAYLAND
April 21, at Highbury New Park, the residence of R T Broome, Esq., Charlotte Harriet Croft, widow of W R Wayland, Esq., of Kingston, Jamaica, aged 51.
The second is about the will of Thomas Fullerton Warren who had property in Jamaica, she is named as Charlotte Harriet Croft Ryland.
On the 1871 census she is staying in the Broome household.
1871 Charlotte
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VB6V-ZPD
1871 Flora ?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VRNV-MKN
1871 William
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VRN2-21P