Author Topic: Charlotte Harriet Croft WAYLAND nee RYLAND born 1831  (Read 443 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Harriet Croft WAYLAND nee RYLAND born 1831
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 March 24 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Comberton. 

So we have Charlotte HC Wayland calling herself a widow in 1871 presumably as a face-saving exercise.  Perhaps no divorce, just separation?

F Wayland born Jamaica at a school in Richmond - so likely the right Flora.

William W and Matilda with their children plus Isabella A Wayland age 10 in 1871.

I'm not sure whether the Thomas Fullerton Warren will and ref to Charlotte H C Ryland is for Mrs Wayland.  Possibly the daughter of [edit] Richard John Croft Ryland not Octavius?  But I couldn't see the info to check.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 March 24 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I've found Charlotte in the 1881 census in the Broome household, where she is listed as a widow again, housekeeper, 46, born Isle of Wight.  She's transcribed as Mayland on Ancestry though.

I wonder if she and Richard Broome were a couple?  Perhaps she left William R Wayland for him?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 March 24 08:37 GMT (UK) »
I’m still intrigued about the births of Flora and Isabella Augusta. If both were born in Jamaica where would the records be?

I haven’t found any passenger records for the Wayland family but don’t know what country they would have sailed via.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Comberton has a marriage announcement for Flora du Costa Wayland and Harry Machin stating she’s the only surviving child of the late Walter Ransom Wayland of Jamaica.

The marriage cert (edit: 1882)shows him as her father too, and a govt. clerk.

This despite her baptism record showing William Robinson Wayland as father, or at least not saying he wasn’t her father.

I haven’t found any Walter Ransom yet but wonder if the same initials are significant and mean the name is fiction.

Also her address on the marriage cert is Highbury New Park - the same as her mother Charlotte’s on the 1871 and 1881 census and her place of death. In the Broome household.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 09:42 GMT (UK) »
More questions now although my original Q about the fate of Charlotte and William Robinson’s marriage in 1856 has been answered. That record shows them as spinster and bachelor. But people lied! Was she married or with a different Wayland in Jamaica, or left England as a single woman to have the baby elsewhere? Was a deceased Walter R Wayland a convenient story?

Who was Flora’s father and what connection did Charlotte HC Wayland nee Ryland or any Ryland or Wayland have with Jamaica? Flora Machin nee Wayland is on various passenger records to/from the West Indies. Her husband was a confectioner so was this about sugar?

Comberton has already found a Jamaica connection in a Dec 1883 newspaper report for the Rylands - Charlotte HC Ryland mentioned in an earlier post. As Octavius Ryland’s daughter married Wayland in 1856 this reference is presumably to John Croft Ryland’s daughter of the same name.

Isabella Augusta Wayland’s birthplace is also unknown. Possibly born with a different surname?
Crook, Bannister, Warren