Author Topic: Scottish portrait date and age  (Read 896 times)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish portrait date and age
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 March 24 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Could the husband/father have enlisted and the photo is for him to take with him?
That is a good thought. If he was about to go off to war, you'd think they'd take a photo of mother and child with him rather than with his/her father. But if he was already in France, perhaps this makes more sense?

I have some very similar in dress and hairstyles.
That is helpful to know. It's all pointing to maybe 1911-1915, with the middle of the range perhaps more likely.

Thanks to both of you.

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 March 24 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I am going for 1913-14 era.

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I am going for 1913-14 era.

Thanks. 1913 seems to be the centre of the estimates. I'll work on that.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 00:57 »
   What a fabulous image!!!...I think you've been given great advice as the little girl's double width drop waist panel and the button leggings looks good for the era c.1915.
adding: Some of their other children also moved further afield, as Christian (who died young...likely in childbirth)  & Daniel ( who lived a century!) went to the United States...so could be a wandering rellie.
They'll be happy to have your input on more family tree details, I'm sure.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/LCVW-RQ4
   Not that this is necessarily the case, but one must be open-minded as it also was not unheard of for much older men to marry younger women.  J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:10 »
I think you've been given great advice as the little girl's double width drop waist panel and the button leggings looks good for the era c.1915.
Thanks. There seems to be a consensus from about 1911-1915.

Daniel ( who lived a century!) went to the United States
This was Daniel Stephen. Yes, he had a long and colourful life. I met him once, quite a while ago now, when he visited Australia. I wish I had the opportunity now to ask him some questions! At least 2 of that generation went to the US and at least one to Australia.

it also was not unheard of for much older men to marry younger women
Yes, I had wondered that. I thought maybe there was some resemblance between woman and man, indicating he was her father, but I'm not much good that that and I may only be imagining it. I am hoping the age of the child will be the easiest basis fior identification. So far I haven't found a good choice, but I need to do some more searching in the wider family tree.