Author Topic: Looking for Hannah Clifford  (Read 93 times)

Offline KatClifford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Hannah Clifford
« on: Saturday 16 March 24 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I am attempting to follow the story of a lost ancestor. My 2nd great aunt was born Hannah Clifford to Samuel Clifford and Eliza Davison in 1867 Derby. Thanks to newspaper archives I've been able to find out that she wasn't leading a "proper life". She had been known to the police from the age of 11. She was remanded for theft aged 13, due to her fathers neglect. She was later sent to the Female Penitents Home, where she became violent and threatened a superintendent with her life. She was sent to gaol for a month before being moved to the Lancashire Refuge for Fallen Girls in Liverpool in 1883, but 2 years later she appears back in Derby, where she was fined numerous times for drunkenness and using obscene language. She was also assaulted by her sister Mary Godwin. In 1886 she was charged in a case of procuring a child for common prostitution, but was later discharged.

The last time she appears in the newspapers is 18th December 1886 for Drunkenness. I haven't found anything after this. It's also worth noting that she went by names Ann and Annie as well as Hannah. Any further help on this would be greatly appreciated.