Author Topic: Please help me with the monogram on the medallion  (Read 185 times)

Offline Redblackdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please help me with the monogram on the medallion
« on: Saturday 16 March 24 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I found this religious medallion. Interesting monogram on the back. Letters N and D? A crown and some letter or number between them? I want to try to find the family name (if this is real), I will be very grateful for any advice

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me with the monogram on the medallion
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 24 13:35 GMT (UK) »
The letters N and D could stand for Notre Dame,Our Lady,ie Mary, Jesus’ mother.
Does it close, it looks as if one part might slide over the other ,a little depression might have held something such as a relic,ie a scrap of cloth purporting to be part of Mary’s  veil for example.
It was big business in Medieval times .( Pigge’s Bonies, sold as a finger bone of Jesus , Chaucer mentions then in his “ Canterbury Tales about a pilgrimage journey to Canterbury. All the characters etc,if there is no hallmark it is probably lead so handle it with care!
Sacrificial  and can be absorbed!
The cross must have been hundreds of feet high! ,,soooo many “genuine “bits sold.
Sooooo many bits  brought back from The Holy Land !!!

I think it needs authenticating .
The symbol under the crown, may indicate a regnal number ,King Somebody Richard The  Lionheart was Richard  The First, and he went  on Crusade , in fact he was hardly ever in England but Knights and soldiers would have bought things supposed to be genuine relics, after fighting in The Crusades.
Google the style of crown ,our Riyal  Regalia is relatively modern , it might narrow down dates.
Is there a rose on the other side ?
Again some symbolism involved.
How interesting ,thanks for posting.
Viktoria.
Just had a quick Google and the crown is not dissimilar to Richard’s.

Online Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 24 13:52 GMT (UK) »
It has a relief of Mary (Notre Dame) inside; perhaps the letter is an L - a souvenir from Lourdes. 20th century I would imagine.
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 24 14:14 GMT (UK) »
It has a relief of Mary (Notre Dame) inside; perhaps the letter is an L - a souvenir from Lourdes. 20th century I would imagine.

Good thinking - an image search for "Notre Dame de Lourdes monogram" brings up several items with something similar. Similarly, an image search for "Notre Dame de Lourdes rose locket" produces a few similar items.

None of the results that I found were absolutely identical to this, but I think they're near enough.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 24 15:01 GMT (UK) »
The letters N and D could stand for Notre Dame,Our Lady,ie Mary, Jesus’ mother.
Does it close, it looks as if one part might slide over the other ,a little depression might have held something such as a relic,ie a scrap of cloth purporting to be part of Mary’s  veil for example.
It was big business in Medieval times .( Pigge’s Bonies, sold as a finger bone of Jesus , Chaucer mentions then in his “ Canterbury Tales about a pilgrimage journey to Canterbury. All the characters etc,if there is no hallmark it is probably lead so handle it with care!
Sacrificial  and can be absorbed!
The cross must have been hundreds of feet high! ,,soooo many “genuine “bits sold.
Sooooo many bits  brought back from The Holy Land !!!

I think it needs authenticating .
The symbol under the crown, may indicate a regnal number ,King Somebody Richard The  Lionheart was Richard  The First, and he went  on Crusade , in fact he was hardly ever in England but Knights and soldiers would have bought things supposed to be genuine relics, after fighting in The Crusades.
Google the style of crown ,our Riyal  Regalia is relatively modern , it might narrow down dates.
Is there a rose on the other side ?
Again some symbolism involved.
How interesting ,thanks for posting.
Viktoria.
Just had a quick Google and the crown is not dissimilar to Richard’s.
P P S .the letter under the crown might be a stylised I, in times gone by a J was written as I ,so perhaps King John , Brother of Richard  1.
Do let us know his you came by it.
There must gave been thousands cheaply made in the Middle Ages.
From clay moulds filled with melted lead. Lots of that about , Cathedrals being roofed etc  etc, easy to melt and sets quickly. V.

about

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 March 24 19:11 GMT (UK) »
It would be amazing if it was as old asI thought it just might be.
The Lourdes connection seems likely.
Was it a gift or a Souvenir ?
Tell us more !
Viktoria,