Author Topic: Stone Masons - what are the best places to look for records?  (Read 167 times)

Offline Bella55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stone Masons - what are the best places to look for records?
« on: Saturday 16 March 24 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of sources relating to stone masons e.g. Guild or Trade records? 

I have in my family tree three generations of McReady* men in Scotland employed as 'Mason (Journeyman)' or 'Mason'.  Often, they are not resident with rest of family at time of census so I assume need to be resident somewhere else whilst working on a particular job.

Is there a list of masons and perhaps what they might have been working on at a particular time? 

Most lived, married and died in Scotland but one 'disappears' from Scottish records and I wonder whether he may have moved south.  It's also possible that the first family member I find with this surname was originally from Ireland.

*Also spelt McReadie, McReddie, McCreadie etc. (bit of a nightmare finding them!)

Thanks,
Bella

Online jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Masons - what are the best places to look for records?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 24 02:03 GMT (UK) »
A lot of Purbeck Stone quarries in Dorset. Try various ' Matravers' places. I had a GGGF relative from Scotland who I traced from down here, backwards.

Offline Bella55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Masons - what are the best places to look for records?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 24 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jimbo - I’ll have a look at Dorset

Bells