Author Topic: Matches “By Parent”, “Plus”: Both Sides  (Read 1016 times)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matches “By Parent”, “Plus”: Both Sides
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 March 24 09:17 GMT (UK) »
phil57, what a disappointment.  Hopefully, something in the near future will pop up to give you some answers.

I’m assuming that you’ve tried every conceivable spelling variation for the surname when looking at Ancestry matches?  :-\    I thought that I knew my Vaus variations, using Vaux and Vans - until I stumbled upon Vous, Voice, Nous and one other variation that was so odd that I can’t remember it.

I also suppose that you’ve searched on Ancestry only for the village (not typing any first or surname in the search)?

Hi Lisa, yes to both, and not just on Ancestry. I have a wide and verifiable tree covering three adjacent villages, back to my Gx6 GF who died in 1738. I have the names and other titbits of information about his mother and father-in-law, obtained from deeds held at TNA and Somerset Archives.

I have references to a family of the same name purchasing property and land in the village in 1539 and references to the same family providing horsemen to counter the threat of the Spanish armada.  Plus further references to the family holding substantial lands and property in the area and also farming up to 1626. What I don't have is any information to link that family directly to my Gx6 GF, although he was apparently a man of some means, holding lands and property in the local area as well as in London. That all disappeared within a couple of generations when my Gx4 GF appears to have fraudulently withheld the distribution of his father's estate to the beneficiaries, and sold it in parcels to various other parties, which was later subject of a Chancery court case.

I have the name of his uncle, with whom he jointly held some properties, and there are people with the same surname to be found in the Bishops transcripts prior to 1700, but the records are not sufficient in coverage to enable any linking of family members unfortunately.

So I think it fairly likely that Gx6 GF was a descendant of the earlier family, but there is no evidence I can find to tie the two together. 70 plus trees on Ancestry make identical claims about my Gx6 GF's year of birth and family in a town in the same county, but with no sources or actual evidence of any kind. Those tree owners that I have contacted and who have bothered to respond simply say they copied the information from other trees.

All very frustrating. I am intending to visit TNA again later this year to make further searches of the Chancery records, which may or may not be fruitful. But it keeps me out of other mischief ;-)
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 March 24 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, TreeDigger.  I think I understand but if you could kindly share your caffeine, please, it might help.  Of course, I could try going to sleep at a normal time rather than popping in here at all hours of the night.  ;D.

I'll give you some caffeine if you say "Hi!" for me to SoCal  8)

The combo IBD & IBS happens when..

*you and a match have a bit of identical DNA that's shared by a whole geographical group (IBS) in the same spot, while your parent has it in a different spot
*you and your parent have a bit of DNA inherited from an ancestor (IBD) and your mutual match also has DNA inherited from that same ancestor
*the inherited (IBD) DNA happens to be in the same region as the IBS DNA you and a match also share.

I've included an image trying to further explain it.
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi phil57,

I am envious of your family history, the details you’ve shared, and the ability to seek out records.  I hope that reviewing the records will turn up something.  I’m looking forward to reading about any positive results.

My stumbling blocks aren’t as interesting as your Gx6 GF’s history but I someday hope to find out about my mum’s gggrandmother.  I don’t know:
when she arrived in Canada (possibly c1825?, who knows),
the names of her parents,
or, why she and her sister, or she and her family sailed to North America.
I just know Jane Brown was supposedly born in Belfast, Ireland c1811.  (Of course, I have found details for her life after 1835, and found details for her sister after her arrival.)

Reading about your success to-date with your ancestor and the village has encouraged me to try to find a DNA match with the Browns.   Suppose anything is possibly, eh?

Thank you for sharing your story; I found it very interesting (I thoroughly enjoy reading historical bits).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 07:22 GMT (UK) »
TreeDigger, thank you for taking the time to explain.  I do understand now.  ;D

Sorry that I can’t say hi to Southern California for you - we live in Northern California.  ;)  Will saying hi to our 1850s gold rush county suffice?  It is beautiful here - (generally) small towns, very friendly residents, slower pace than the San Francisco Bay Area, etc.   I’m so thankful that we moved here a few years ago.

Thank you again, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)