Author Topic: Lavenham  (Read 236 times)

Offline SUFFOLK BOY

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lavenham
« on: Sunday 17 March 24 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,looking for the location of Alley Yard Lavenham.I was told it was demolished years ago but did it just go though a name change? thanks in advance Neil.
Brown and Oakley family Glemsford and Lavenham Suffolk,Simpson, Stewart/Steward,Hartley,Hardy family all Lavenham. Pepper family Herringswell, Wakerley & Suffolk.Chapman and Pattle family  Suffolk. Desmond family from cork Ireland and London. Anybody wants information on the Brown family from Suffolk let me know would be glad to help.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lavenham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 24 14:38 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to Ancestry, then look at the 1891 census entry for Arthur Parker, aged 26.  His address is Alley Yard, Lavenham.  From there, go to page 1 image, which gives the Enumerator's walk.  Unfortunately Alley Yard is not individually itemised in that list, but other roads on the walk are, and this will give you a location.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 24 17:35 GMT (UK) »
That's an approach that I've used many times - follow the enumerator's walk on a contemporaneous map - the NLS 25inch and the town plans are best.

Martin 

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 24 18:56 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 the entries preceding Arthur Parker in Alley Yard are the families of Matilda Wilding and William Howe, then the preceding addresses are Pump Square (in brackets for some reason). In 1881 those two families are neighbours but their address is Pump Court, then  the preceding entry is again Pump Square.

Since address search at FindMyPast only finds Alley Square in 1891 it looks like perhaps it was the same as Pump Court, or adjacent to it. It's also suspicious that I can't find a single newspaper reference to Alley Yard.

Pump Court is still there today.

Added:
26 October 1955: Suffolk and Essex Free Press
A report of the compulsory purchase of dwellings at Pump Court, Lavenham.
At the inquiry, the Medical Oficer, Dr. Robert Clayton, described the properties in Pump Court as more than 150 years old with neither historic nor architectural value

Looking at Streetview, Pump Court today seems to be the backs of various houses, although it was last surveyed 15 years ago.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline SUFFOLK BOY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 March 24 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan,this all seems a bit strange,could it all be because of a simple name change then?
Brown and Oakley family Glemsford and Lavenham Suffolk,Simpson, Stewart/Steward,Hartley,Hardy family all Lavenham. Pepper family Herringswell, Wakerley & Suffolk.Chapman and Pattle family  Suffolk. Desmond family from cork Ireland and London. Anybody wants information on the Brown family from Suffolk let me know would be glad to help.