Author Topic: Irish immigrants to New York - Potato Famine  (Read 382 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Irish immigrants to New York - Potato Famine
« on: Sunday 17 March 24 15:24 GMT (UK) »
"With assistance scouring records from dozens of his students and a professional genealogist, Anbinder documented more than 1,200 famine immigrants’ lives in detail over time — looking beyond the moment they arrived on US soil and showing what happened to them afterward."

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/17/us/irish-potato-famine-immigrants-cec/index.html
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish immigrants to New York - Potato Famine
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 24 14:29 GMT (UK) »
That is really interesting, some of my Irish Ancestors emigrated to America after the potato famine, according to passengers lists, they were sponsored by the Catholic Church.
 With common names like Carroll and Monaghan they weren't easy to find, the problem being compounded by the constant changing of spellings in both Christian and Surnames and DOBs were inaccurate. According to one census, one of my ancestors was 23 with a 10 year old Daughter, not impossible, but on a later census showed the right ages.
Anna Monaghan was our last surviving Irish relative who died a spinster in St. Louis, Miss in 1920, she was a Book Binder.
She died Intestate and my Grandmother and two cousins received money from her "Estate"
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 24 15:30 GMT (UK) »
It looks like it might have some useful tips on how to track ancestors who immigrated to the NYC slums in that time period.  My own Irish ancestors immigrated before the famine, and they did not go to New York.  They were farmers who went to the Midwest.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Finally got around to reading this, very interesting even in general terms on how emigrants manage in a the new country.