Author Topic: Image of a Typical WW1 Pension Ledger  (Read 215 times)

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Image of a Typical WW1 Pension Ledger
« on: Sunday 17 March 24 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I have numerous images of World War 1 Pension Cards but because the relevant records have been deleted (as stated on one pension card), I can't get any further information.

This leads me to wonder what the actual Ledger entries and pages look like.

Does anyone have examples of these? Not the Pension Cards, the actual source documents?

Doing an internet search results in only typical Pension Cards being shown, not the Ledgers themselves.

Thanks.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Image of a Typical WW1 Pension Ledger
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 24 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thank you, I have and very useful it is.

That website says:

"The PRCs archive comprises, in the main, two types of document:

Ledgers. (Some weeding of these ledgers is evident, which probably took place in the 1950s and 1960s. Details of this weeding appear below.) There are some 15,000 ledgers, and each ledger contains 100 individual records, Thus there are about 1.5 million individual ledgers.

Various types of record card."

Forgive me if I'm missing something but I didn't think that website showed any images of Ledger book entries, it only seems to show cards. Now that I look again, the captions of some of the images do indicate that they are 'Legers' but do they really mean that? These 'Ledgers' look like cards to me, not the source documents.

Am I wrong?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Image of a Typical WW1 Pension Ledger
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 24 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Ah, thank you. After a bit of reading of the information on that link, I now understand what a Ledger looks like.

In fact, I now see that I've actually got one, along with other 'Pension Cards'. I thought they were all Pension Cards.

Thanks, all, for the help.