Author Topic: Q? Family Tree software  (Read 272 times)

Offline flintlockandsteel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Q? Family Tree software
« on: Sunday 17 March 24 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I've been using the Ancestry setup but don't find it ideal. American, cluttered and to a degree illogical. Also their algorithm throws up loads of potentially false leads which I have seen others follow.
I deleted one incorrect entry and it took out several correct ones. It also appears to assign 2 unmarried parents as Spouses when you may want a "link to" rather than one of the names on a particular tree if running separate trees.

Ideally I'd like a simple uncluttered arrangement which links additional data and notes to a printable record (MS Word) and automatically rearranges say names and dates in order per record  The ability to relocate an individual on a tree (drag and drop) could also be useful.

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated?

Online martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Q? Family Tree software
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 24 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello - this question has come up many times. You would do well to search the forums on here for previous views on this subject. There are lots of family tree software possibilities and there are advocates for all of them.

Martin

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 24 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I always suggest Roots Magic which is a very reasonable price, in it you can create a project and download all your Ancestry tree including the Media linked to it, this feature is vastly superior to using a Gedcom.

The real beauty of Roots Magic is the Tools, you can correct the errors, remove duplicates, test for floating trees etc.  Once done the Database checking tools can then be run and once that is done Tree Share back to Ancestry and your Ancestry tree is as error free as you can make it.

Then you can create an Ancestry Gedcom as a backup, and as one you can use in other software.

Then you can decide on the long term software that works best for you.

Simple and uncluttered Family Tree Software it is not!

As well as Roots Magic I have Family Tree Maker, Family Historian, Legacy (Mac only) and MacFamily (Mac only).  Each has their Pros & Cons but Roots Magic has the best Tools, I simply do not like Family Historian, Legacy has the best chart making options, MacFamily is quirky.

That leaves Family Tree Maker with which you can also download and sync an Ancestry Family Tree.  I find it very user friendly and it is my choice for when I cease having an Ancestry subscription.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 24 19:43 GMT (UK) »
RootsMagic has a FREE downloadable version called RootsMagic Essentials.
It's a cut-down version and easy to upgrade to the full version later.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 March 24 17:11 GMT (UK) »
As a belt and braces solution I have Roots Magic on my PC.

On my Macbook I have Family Tree Maker.

Both have up to date versions of the same family trees and both have backup files created and saved onto removable storage media.

BTW Roots Magic has an On The Go feature where the software, basically their Roots Magic Essential is written to a USB drive together with the Family Tree etc.  Very useful for sharing ones research with relatives.

Offline flintlockandsteel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 March 24 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all
Roots magic Essentials - I presume I need the 64 bit version ?