Author Topic: john william whittaker -what are the chances?  (Read 292 times)

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
john william whittaker -what are the chances?
« on: Monday 18 March 24 06:29 GMT (UK) »

In 2013 I spoke to the Warder of Holy Trinity Church in Tunstead, Rossendale, Lancashire whilst on holiday. I know my Whittaker ancestors worshipped  at HT (possibly because of work connections). They were definitely there between 1844-1848 as 2 sons are baptised there in those years - John Munn and James.

I have long been interested in John's middle name. The warder told me the Munns were a very prominent family in the area and well respected. He then went on to tell me that the Munn's raised one of the Whittaker's sons. He felt that with the Munns being respected Mill owners John's middle name was a nod to that or maybe they were somehow closer connected.

John William Whittaker had been born to Edmund and Margaret Whittaker (whilst Edmund was stationed with the army) on 14 October 1836 in Templemore, Co Tipperary, and baptised Church of Ireland on the 6 November 1836.

By 1841 the family returned to England and settled in Stacksteads and Bacup. I have not found a death for John and there is no mention of him in the 1841 England Census or any later documents pertaining to the family. Could it be that John was taken in or adopted by the Munns and that is why I can't trace him?

Thoughts please.
Tilly Ann
Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: john william whittaker -what are the chances?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 24 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - Is there any possiblity that the family was at Stoke Dameral at some point after their return from Ireland  :-\ :-\

On FindMyPast I noticed a burial of a John William Whittaker at Stoke Demeral, Devon age 2 yrs 8 months on 29 May 1939

Kay

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 24 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps John William b 1836 died in Ireland before the family moved to Lancashire.
I can see your family in 1851 2248 /184/48
Edmund and Margaret Whitaker with several children including the two born in Lancashire.
Elizabeth, 11 yrs was born in Ireland according to that census.

Added
Kay’s find looks interesting.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 March 24 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Here they are in 1841 509 /7/6
Bolton’s Row, Newchurch
Edmund Whitaker 43 yrs Tailor
Margaret 38 yrs
James 16 yrs
Margaret Ann 9 yrs
Edmund 6 yrs
Elizabeth 2 yrs
All born in Ireland except Edmund snr

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 March 24 07:57 GMT (UK) »

On FindMyPast I noticed a burial of a John William Whittaker at Stoke Demeral, Devon age 2 yrs 8 months on 29 May 1939

I have seen this one Kay but no evidence of it being him. Edmund was stationed in Cork in April 1839 when his daughter Elizabeth was baptised. His service record shows no posting to Devon.
Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 March 24 08:01 GMT (UK) »

I have seen this one Kay, thanks, but no evidence of it being him. Edmund was stationed in Cork in April 1839 when his daughter Elizabeth was baptised. His service record shows no posting to Devon. By October and just prior to his discharge Edmund has been ill in Dublin.

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 March 24 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps John William b 1836 died in Ireland before the family moved to Lancashire..

Hi Heywood,
He may have done but I have worked my way through a lot of Irish Parish records and I can find no trace of him. I just wondered if maybe he was the child the Warder told me about. These Whittakers were poor and it may have been a great opportunity for little John and ease some of the family burden.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 March 24 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Have you found many Irish burials around that time?
Where was Elizabeth baptised?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 March 24 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking that it was a church of Ireland baptism rather than Catholic and have found her baptism now.
Ancestry has it as 19th April 1839 at St Patrick’s Cork city but I haven’t spotted it here. I haven’t scrutinised the records though.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0042
As you can see there are no burial records and it is rare that you would find burial records in Irish Catholic records.