Author Topic: LOOKUP/DATA REQUEST - Straker  (Read 121 times)

Offline Feder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LOOKUP/DATA REQUEST - Straker
« on: Monday 18 March 24 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!

I'm hoping someone can help me please. I live in Kent, but my family apparently comes from Thorngumbauld, East Riding. I know we used to have a presence there, and I used to have details of a farm previously owned by our family, by Thomas Straker.

Unfortunately my research into that particular ancestors has been lost over the last decade, and I can't find the data again. So I'm hoping someone might have an idea of where to start, or be able to point me in the direction of any information about the Straker family in/around Thorngumbauld/Hedon.

The particular individual is Thomas Straker. I believe he was born sometime around 1793. I think he owned or was a tenant on a farm. I know there were a lot of other Strakers around the area at the time.

Any details someone can provide about any specific locations associated with the Strakers, any churches associated with them and any local information of any sort would be highly appreciated. I've got access to the primary record sources on ancestry.co.uk, so I'm really looking for more in-depth data, as I said particularly places directly associated with them, that aren't really contained in mere birth records etc.

A bit of a long shot, I know, as it's a very vague request. Sorry about that. We only left the area over the last century, and I'm suspecting a lot of Strakers still exist elsewhere. So any help anyone can provide, or any ideas of where to look, would be super appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKUP/DATA REQUEST - Straker
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 24 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

As you will have details of his wife & children - a starting point would be to look at census info.  All censuses are free to search here

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list?cqs=england+census
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Feder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 24 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks! I'll have a look
I haven't come across this before, but the site looks a lot less clunky than ancestry, so hopefully I'll have some luck

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 00:31 GMT (UK) »
A few mentions of Strakers in the East Riding archives.

https://calmview.eastriding.gov.uk/Overview.aspx
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk