Author Topic: Parkinson - Madder families  (Read 879 times)

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parkinson - Madder families
« on: Tuesday 19 March 24 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I am a volunteer researcher for the Quilters’ Guild of the British Isles. Those of us with some experience in genealogy use internet resources to see if we can find out anything about the quilters whose quilts are in the Guild’s museum collection.
I am currently trying to find out something about Eliza Parkinson (nee Madder), from Dalkey near Dublin. She is said to have lived between 1787 and 1871, and she was married to Dr. James Richard Parkinson. The quilt has a note which says that it was either made by her or by her Mother, Catherine Madder (nee Reeves). There is quite a lot of information about this family on An*****y public trees and other websites, but I think some of it is confused. Many people, for example, have James Parkinson as a shoemaker. No-one seems to be able to find the Parkinson-Madder marriage. Do any of you have any ideas of where I might look for it?
If anyone has an interest in this family, I would be happy to correspond.
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Parkinson - Madder families
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 02:15 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few newspaper articles that mention James Richard PARKINSON - I don't have access to read them all - you can find them on findmypast or British Newspaper Archive (both subscription sites). Some seem to involve estate matters, there is a marriage notice for his son Henry Madder PARKINSON, barrister at law to Herietta FLOOD in 1858. James is described as surgeon of Tudor House, Dalkey. He died in 1894, "late of Balltharan House", Wexford.

Eliza died 26 Dec 1871 at Tudor House, Dalkey, her death notice:
The Belfast Newsletter
28 Dec 1871

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 02:31 GMT (UK) »
For interest, a description of Tudor House, Dalkey from 1876

Friday,  Oct. 6, 1876
Publication: Freeman's Journal

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 03:33 GMT (UK) »
I notice that James Richard PARKINSON attained Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons (England) in 1834. Does this mean he was resident there at that time? Perhaps he married Eliza in England? I can't see a birth for son Henry Madder PARKINSON in Ireland.  :-\

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Maddys52.
The Guild's curator dates the quilt to around 1800-1820, so probably too early for Henrietta to have been involved in making it. A*****y trees have a wonderful photo of her, though, in a voluminous dress. So maybe she was interested in clothing, sewing, fabric??
The house description is interesting. Clearly, they had money, so the quilt is not of the 'make do and mend' variety, but likely the product of middle class women having the time to do it.
Thanks for the death certificates, which will go into the Guild's archive. I cannot find their marriage in England. Would it be easy to get a copy of Irish wills? It is a simple (and cheap!) process in England. I confess I haven't tried yet
There seems to be an England connection, though. James and Eliza only had one child that I can find, Henry Madder Parkinson, said  to have been born 1829, which would make Eliza in her 40s at the time. Possible but unusual. I cannot confirm his birth, though. He seems to have died in Dorset, England in 1908.
Thanks you for your interest in this.
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 March 24 03:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I don't know about obtaining an Irish will.

There certainly does seem to be some connection England. Assuming the ages on the death certificates are accurate, there does seem to be quite an age difference between Eliza and James Richard PARKINSON. I wonder if she had been previously married? I'm assuming most people think her maiden name was MADDER as this is her child's middle name - it may not be though. Shame we can't find a record of their marriage - either a certificate or a newspaper announcement. Will have another look.

Modified to add:
Just re-reading your original post, I see that you have a note that the quilt may have been by Eliza's mother Catherine MADDER - does the note actually show this name?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 March 24 04:18 GMT (UK) »
I see that there is a marriage bond between Henry MADDER and Catherine REEVES in 1785 in the Cork and Ross County.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 24 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo