Author Topic: Tudor Court Hand Will 1524 - Need help with Names of Places  (Read 435 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tudor Court Hand Will 1524 - Need help with Names of Places
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Skynner(es), I'm struggling to see a k when it is compared to s(ir) John Awdeley knyghte and what I think is mast(er) Edmonde Bokkyng.

My theory for the k in Skynneres is that part of the upper penstroke is missing, joining the letter to the apparently 'floating' line above the y ?

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 12:32 GMT (UK) »
My theory for the k in Skynneres is that part of the upper penstroke is missing, joining the letter to the apparently 'floating' line above the y ?

Yes, Bookbox, that's a compelling explanation.  I wasn't able to make a meaningful letter from the lower section on its own, but it fits perfectly with your reconstruction of a k using the red line.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Bookbox,

Any idea on the second word in clip 1?  I have "Crospiaell", which makes no sense to me.

I'm wondering if it's an unusual spelling of 'Hospital', perhaps Orspittell, or similar, but I'm not convinced the first letter is O.

I've tried to 'enhance' that one word and attach a clip of it.  I have also attached the Tudor Court alphabet from Cambridge University.  With the enlarged and enhanced word I can now see a 't' fourth letter from the end.  The first letter could be a badly written 'O'.  Any thoughts?
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, horselydown86

First, thank you for your assistance.  It is greatly appreciated.

You asked for the word at the end of the second line in clip 1.  I've attached an enlarged view of that word.  It is 'crofte' and the 'c' is the reason I interpreted the second highlighted word on clip 1 as 'crospiaell'.  Now that I have enlarged that word - see my reply to Bookbox - I can see a 't' as the fourth letter from the end, so now I see it as 'crosputell'.  But, I'm still baffled by it.

The first highlighted word in clip 1, I have to agree with Bookbox, is 'Skynneres'.  The added explanation of the large overarching tail is very faint, but it is there.  This clerk's writing isn't 100% exact in every instance but stays close enough to the Tudor Court hand alphabet.

Yes, Bookbox, that's a compelling explanation.  I wasn't able to make a meaningful letter from the lower section on its own, but it fits perfectly with your reconstruction of a k using the red line.
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Bookbox,

Yes, this Will was probated in 1525 having been made in December, 1524.  The archive catalogue specifies the probate in 1525.

In the probate clause, it’s proved at Ipswich, and the year (at the end of line 1) could be 1525 (but can that be checked in the archive catalogue?)

Last line – iuratis &c, going with executoribus no(m)i(n)atis in line 2.
Then I think it's - & sol(vit) (= and he/she paid)
Then there’s an amount of money at the end [?] s (shillings) and iiij d (fourpence). Probably the probate fee.

Still puzzling over the beginning of line 2 of this probate clause.

Yes, I can see now & sol(vit) and wonder if the shillings is 'v'.
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Bookbox,

Yes, I can see that this line is as you suggest.

Many thanks for your dedicated assistance.  It is greatly appreciated.

Still puzzling over the beginning of line 2 of this probate clause.

On reflection, I think this is - & co(mmissa) f(uit) ad(ministracio) executoribus …
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 March 24 02:52 GMT (UK) »
You asked for the word at the end of the second line in clip 1.  I've attached an enlarged view of that word.  It is 'crofte' and the 'c' is the reason I interpreted the second highlighted word on clip 1 as 'crospiaell'.  Now that I have enlarged that word - see my reply to Bookbox - I can see a 't' as the fourth letter from the end, so now I see it as 'crosputell'.

Looking at the enlarged image, it could be Crospictel.

There's a common archaic word pightle (and many variant spellings), dating to the C13th and used for a small field or enclosure, sometimes (but not necessarily) associated with a house.

I wonder if our word might mean a cross-pightle, as opposed to one in some other orientation.

Best I can do.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 March 24 10:12 GMT (UK) »

Good find, horselydown86. I'd go along with that.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 March 24 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, horselydown86,

You asked for the word at the end of the second line in clip 1.  I've attached an enlarged view of that word.  It is 'crofte' and the 'c' is the reason I interpreted the second highlighted word on clip 1 as 'crospiaell'.  Now that I have enlarged that word - see my reply to Bookbox - I can see a 't' as the fourth letter from the end, so now I see it as 'crosputell'.

There's a common archaic word pightle (and many variant spellings), dating to the C13th and used for a small field or enclosure, sometimes (but not necessarily) associated with a house.

I wonder if our word might mean a cross-pightle, as opposed to one in some other orientation.

Best I can do.

That is a brilliant find!  Thank you so much.  Yes, I'd agree with your insight.  This Will is full of references to various sizes and types of land that is being devised to his children, land that seems to have no buildings of any kind.  He deals with his messuage and tenements separately.
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner