Author Topic: brown family  (Read 836 times)

Offline DD65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: brown family
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 March 24 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Other researchers online:
https://www.bnl.bm/2011/08/29/bermuda-history-genealogy/comment-page-4/
"Robert William Duncan who, according to his marriage certificate was born in Somerset, Bermuda in June 1885. His parents names were John Duncan and Margaret Duncan (nee McGrath).

and:
https://www.bnl.bm/2011/08/29/bermuda-history-genealogy/comment-page-5/
 "I ordered this from Bermuda many years ago and it arrived but when I contacted them recently for more info they had no trace of this birth certificate......My grandfather was born in Sandy’s Parish Bermuda on 4 June 1878 to a father listed as Duncan Brown a sapper in the Royal Engineers and mother Margaret Brown nee McGrath or MaGrath.

WW1 record
Joined the AIF 18 Aug 1914
Enlisted:     Blackboy Hill, Western Australia
Robert William Duncan
Age 29 years, 2 mnths (4.6.85)
Born Ratheslathe, London Surrey (is this meant to be Rotherhithe?)
Sister: Ruby Duncan, 88 Great Howard Street, Liverpool, Lancashire
Had served 2½ years in RAGA (WA)
Description: 5',11¾", blue eyes,  brown hair, fair complexion, Roman Catholic
Honorably Discharged Egypt 1916
A note re conditions of Discharge saying, the Army wouldn't be paying for his return "home"

How and when did he return to Australia?

RAGA
Royal Australian Garrison Artillery

So the AIF record indicates he was in Australia at least from around 1911 or so?

I couldn't find 88 Great Harwood  - in any census near 1914.

Cheers
AMBLY

Thanks for this info. When he was discharged to Egypt, he met my grandmother who was living there at the time. He lied about his age to be eligible to join the Anzacs. He wasn't born in 1885, he was born in 1879 so was in fact 36 not 29 when he joined. Looks like that is also when he changed his surname from Brown to Duncan.

Offline DD65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: brown family
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 March 24 23:01 GMT (UK) »
One would think that if Duncan Brown was a sapper in the R.E. that the birth would be registered in the British Armed Forces & Overseas Births & Baptisms

I agree. It should be simple but unfortunately no sign of a registered birth. At least not one that I can find.