Author Topic: Not sure if I am on the right track.  (Read 549 times)

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Not sure if I am on the right track.
« on: Wednesday 20 March 24 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I would appreciate any help.

I am not convinced I am following the right family.

I am looking for the parents of Harriet Brookes, according to the 1939 register she was born 26 June 1883 in Bilston, Staffordshire. (unable to find birth record) there are variations on the name Brookes so makes it difficult.

Harriet Marriage.

Marriage: 17 Jul 1901 St Cuthbert, Churchtown, Southport Lancs. John Jones - 23, Provision Trade? Bachelor, 133 Old Park Road Harriet Brookes - 21, Spinster, 130 Newton St. Groom's Father: John Jones, Ironmonger Bride's Father: George Brookes, Boat Man?

In 1901 Harriet is living with her Mother Ann (Widow) Born Abt 1842 Bilston Staffordshire. The address matches the marriage record. (130 Newton St). Ann's Granddaughter is also at the address (Florence Johnson).

Harriet's sister is Alice Brookes (Born Abt 1876) Married Edward Johnson 25 May 1896, Birkdale, Southport. Father George Brookes Boat loader. (Info gained from marriage certificate) Ann (mother) was living with Alice in 1911 South Manchester.

I found a Marriage for George Brookes and Ann Hayward 10 Feb 1861 St Peters Walsall Stafford. So I have been following that line but I am not sure I am on the right track.

According to the person who I am doing the family tree for they were told that George had a fleet of Barges (not sure where) this would fit in with the information on the marriages of his daughter.

The George and Ann I have been following there is no mention of boats he is recorded as being a general Laborer on the 1881 census. So I may have the wrong George and Ann.

If anyone can help with Information/advice I would be thankful.

Thanks

Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if I am on the right track.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 16:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth registration in September quarter 1883 - Wolverhampton RD, which covers Bilston - of Harriet Lydia Brookes.  :-\

GRO give mother's maiden name as Humphage.  Can't see a marriage of Brookes and Humphage.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Harriet Brookes with mothers name Hayward was born 1880 and is on the 1881 census with sister Alice and parents George & Ann so she wasn't born 1883  :-\

Not really enough to rule her out as mistakes with ages were often made. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 16:38 GMT (UK) »
It is the occupation of George on the census records that is making me unsure if I am on the right track.

Thank you both for helping, I have been searching for a while and tried everything I could think of, sometimes fresh eyes and a better brain than mine can help ;D

I appreciate your help.

Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 16:53 GMT (UK) »
George Brookes' occupation on the marriage entry for his daughter, Harriet, is Boat Loader.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 17:07 GMT (UK) »
When Alice married Edward Johnson 1896 one of the witnesses is Priscilla Brookes

who would be her sister born 1878 and registered as Acquila see also 1881 census age 3, 1891 census age 13 as Priscilla.

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I only have the parish record for Harriet and it just says Boat man.

May be his occupation was a laborer on boats and the story got changed over the years.

I could be on the right track after all.

I did find a George and Ann on the 1861 census he was a contractor daughter Eliza aged one but nothing else matched as far as I could tell. I think if I can remember she was Ann Williams.

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Amondg

I never thought to look at the Witnesses it just shows how fresh eyes and a decent brain can help.

I have seen the census records with  Aquila/Priscilla.

Thank you everyone for your help I think the case is cracked.

I no doubt will be back for more help when I start on the Jones side (Harriet's Husband) so probably see you soon. ;D

Thanks again

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Ref: GRO Index  All registered Wolverhampton

Children of Brookes and  nee Hayward
John 1861  Dec quarter - December quarter  1861  ???
Harriet Eliza 1861 Sept q  died Sept q 1861  ?????           registration error can find no other
                                                                                    Brookes/Hayward marriages
                    Although John would have been a good choice for first son as both fathers are John
Thomas 1863 - census
Maria 1864  died 1868 age 3
Esther 1870   census
Agnes 1871  possible death 1879
Florence 1872   census
                  Samuel 1873 March quarter ?????   not likely
Mary Ann 1873 Dec quarter   census
Alice maria 1876    census
Acquila 1878    census as Aquila/ Priscilla
Harriet Eliza 1880  census