Author Topic: Not sure if I am on the right track.  (Read 547 times)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if I am on the right track.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 18:02 GMT (UK) »
 May 1868 Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser has a
report on the death of Maria Brookes, three and a half years old after being knocked down by a horse and cart. A witness "stated that he knew the deceased, who was the daughter of George Brooks, a boat loader residing at Moxley." The accident happened at Moxley, on the road from Bilston.

death record
Maria Brookes
Q2 1868 Wolverhampton
age 3

birth record
Maria Brookes
Q4 1864 Wolverhampton

baptism
Maria Brooks
10th October 1864, St Mary, Bilston
George Brooks, Ann
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 18:44 GMT (UK) »
John Jones, husband of Harriet.

Parents marriage
Marriages Dec 1873   

HEYWOOD    Sarah        Wolverhampton    6b   914    
JONES    John        Wolverhampton    6b   914    

JONES, JOHN       mmn HEYWOOD
GRO Reference: 1877  D Quarter in CHESTERFIELD  Volume 07B  Page 625

JONES, ENOCH       HAYWARD 
GRO Reference: 1879  D Quarter in SALFORD  Volume 08D  Page 28

1881 census

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27P-W9LZ

1891 census

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7C3M-76Z

1911 census

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWB5-H5M

SS

added: John Jones snr 1901 census ref 3654 104 5   Occupation Ironmonger

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Quote:

Marriage: 17 Jul 1901 St Cuthbert, Churchtown, Southport Lancs. John Jones - 23, Provision Trade? Bachelor, 133 Old Park Road

In 1901 living at 132 Old Park Lane, Southport is a John Jones aged 22, single occ Sausage Maker. Birthplace given as Southport, Lancs?  ref  3540 158 26

SS

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 March 24 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Amondg

I will have a look at the info you sent me. there are three children's names I haven't come across.

John 1861
Harriet Eliza 1861
Maria 1864

I also have a George Brookes

George Brookes
Gender   Male
Christening Date   28 Jul 1861
Christening Place   Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England
Father   George Brookes
Mother   Ann Brookes

George is not on any of the census records
Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 March 24 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Is this him?

Name:   BROOKS, GEORGE       Age at Death (in years):  1 
GRO Ref: 1863  M Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 377

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 March 24 16:27 BST (UK) »
So sorry

I hadn't noticed I had got more post. I appreciate all the information.

AlanBoyd so sad about little Maria Brookes . It all appears to fit I believe her grandmother was called Maria. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Softlysoftly Thanks for your help, It all looks promising I only had the name Sarah so the info will help a lot.

Molly C Thanks I will take a look.

I was about to pack up for the day, no chance now ;D

Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if I am on the right track. Oh No not again
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 April 24 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I would appreciate any help.

I am not convinced I am following the right family.

I am looking for the parents of Harriet Brookes, according to the 1939 register she was born 26 June 1883 in Bilston, Staffordshire. (unable to find birth record) there are variations on the name Brookes so makes it difficult.

Harriet Marriage.

Marriage: 17 Jul 1901 St Cuthbert, Churchtown, Southport Lancs. John Jones - 23, Provision Trade? Bachelor, 133 Old Park Road Harriet Brookes - 21, Spinster, 130 Newton St. Groom's Father: John Jones, Ironmonger Bride's Father: George Brookes, Boat Man?

In 1901 Harriet is living with her Mother Ann (Widow) Born Abt 1842 Bilston Staffordshire. The address matches the marriage record. (130 Newton St). Ann's Granddaughter is also at the address (Florence Johnson).

Harriet's sister is Alice Brookes (Born Abt 1876) Married Edward Johnson 25 May 1896, Birkdale, Southport. Father George Brookes Boat loader. (Info gained from marriage certificate) Ann (mother) was living with Alice in 1911 South Manchester.

I found a Marriage for George Brookes and Ann Hayward 10 Feb 1861 St Peters Walsall Stafford. So I have been following that line but I am not sure I am on the right track.

According to the person who I am doing the family tree for they were told that George had a fleet of Barges (not sure where) this would fit in with the information on the marriages of his daughter.

The George and Ann I have been following there is no mention of boats he is recorded as being a general Laborer on the 1881 census. So I may have the wrong George and Ann.

If anyone can help with Information/advice I would be thankful.

Thanks

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 April 24 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry to bother you again.

I have been made unsure again if I am on the right track.

I was so excited to tell the person about how well (with help) their tree was coming along.

On speaking to the person they said that Harriet Brookes had a sister called Cecilia Brookes she married a Samuel Gregory (solicitor) it's totally thrown me again.

I am unable to find Cecilia. I thought it may be Priscilla? (name shortened)

I have tried looking for a marriage but had no luck so far.

Is it possible for someone to take a look for me. I want to make sure I am following the right family.

I work in a care home and try and do family trees for the people at the home, (with full permission) I have some good results thanks to the help I get on here. But the Brookes/Jones are proving a challenge.

Thanks