Author Topic: William Pope and wife Betty (Rogers?) in Langport, Somerset 1811  (Read 197 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Pope and wife Betty (Rogers?) in Langport, Somerset 1811
« on: Wednesday 20 March 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I am tracing the origins of my GGG grandparents William and Betty Pope. Their son, another William (my GG grandfather), was born in Langport in 1811 and baptised at the parish church there. John (1812), Mary (1815) and George (1819) were also in the records for William and Betty in Langport.

A search for William and Betty’s wedding took me to Combe St Nicholas (approx. 15 miles away from Langport) in January 1809. I couldn’t find an a more plausible option and this would make Betty's maiden name Rogers. Shortly after (December), a son Samuel is baptised. A John Pope was present at the marriage but he seems to sign as a witness in a good number of the records so I don’t know if he is related or just helped out at the church.

I have a good gap between George’s birth in 1819 and census records. In this time, William jnr signs up for the Royal Marines and moves to Plymouth in 1830.

I could not find a good fit for the 1841 census.

In 1851, William (70 from Bickenhall) and Betty Pope (76 from Huish) are present living alone as paupers in Curry Rivell which is just to the west of Langport.

Betty Pope died in June 1858 at the age of 86. She lived in Curry Rivell at the time of her death and is buried at the Curry Rivell churchyard.

In 1861, there is a William Pope (78 from Combe St Nicholas)), a widower and former sawyer who is lodging in Curry Rivell.

I possibly have the right William, who died in March 1870 at the age of 87. His occupation was a sawyer. He lived in Huish Episcopi near Langport at the time of his death and is buried in the local church yard in Huish. I was a bit surprised he was not buried with Betty but maybe his status as a pauper meant this was not possible. There do seem to be a few William Popes in the area.

I'm struggling with the birth and baptism records for Betty and William. If anyone can provide some ideas that would be very helpful thanks!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: William Pope and wife Betty (Rogers?) in Langport, Somerset 1811
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 24 03:30 GMT (UK) »

I could not find a good fit for the 1841 census.

This looks like them in 1841 at Langport Westover:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ1J-4KC

William POPE   60    sawyer
Elizabeth           60
Thomas             15  carpenter app

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 24 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Thomas POPE, son of William (sawyer) and Elizabeth POPE of Langport Westover is entered on the Curry Rivel baptism register 14 Feb 1825, however there is a note on the entry I can't quite read:
"by certificate of ... transmitted to me J. Sedgwick Feb 14th 1825"

Thomas POPE (full age, carpenter) possibly married Anna HIETT 4 June 1846 at Taunton, St James. His father - William POPE, sawyer.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 24 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maddy.

I did take a look at that one - early on I thought Betty was most probably a shortened Elizabeth and fairly unusual. I've noticed more recently that it was a common name back then - certainly a 'Top 10' name in those parts. The 4 baptisms at Langport were all William and Betty so why change to Elizabeth in 1825 for Thomas, the 1841 and then revert to Betty in 1851/61?

I have come across another William Pope who is local to Langport (Long Sutton) and married an Elizabeth. I think another who is also a sawyer! There are a few red herrings out there.

The more I search the more I doubt...