Author Topic: Appleton family from Kent; a quagmire.  (Read 307 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Appleton family from Kent; a quagmire.
« on: Thursday 21 March 24 06:29 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great-grandmother Mary Ann Appleton's origins are still partly shrouded in mystery.

Established facts..

Married
28 Sep 1830 at Margate to John Foster W(h)ales
Children
John Henley bap 11 Sep 1831, Margate
Edward bap 17 Mar 1833, Margate
William Brown bap 30 Nov 1834, Margate
George 29 May 1836, Margate
Eliza Ann bap 14 Oct 1838, Margate
Emma bap 05 Apr 1840, Margate
Harriott born ca. 1842, Margate
Stephen bap 11 Feb 1844, Margate
Mary born ca. 1846, Margate
Joeph born ca.1848, Margate

The 1841 census finds the family (transcribed as 'Dales') living at Princess Crescent in Margate, with Mary Ann aged 30. This means her birth is somewhere between 1806-1811. Coupled with her eldest son named John Henley, her parents, without much doubt, can be identified as John Appleton & Ann Henley, married 24 Aug 1809 at Canterbury, where Mary Ann is baptized on 12 Dec 1809, a scant 4 months after the marriage.

And that's where, as far as I'm concerned, the Appleton lineage stops.

Ann Henley & daughter Elizabeth Appleton and grandson Edward Wales can be found in the 1841 & 1851 Margate census respectively. John Appleton has died by then, and most often is identified as the John Appleton that was buried aged 49 on 24 Feb 1833 at St Nicholas-at-Wade, residence Sarre. He's then additionally often identified as the son of James Appleton & Mary Ellender.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to find evidence for any of that. John is either said to be baptized in 1778 - which doesn't correspond with the quite specific age of 49 at his burial - or is 'stuffed in' between the other children of the couple.

So if anybody has proof of (t)his parentage..
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Appleton family from Kent; a quagmire.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 24 10:27 GMT (UK) »
James APPLETON of Preston to Mary ELLENDER otp, both single.
   Marriage   16 Apr 1770   Kent   Adisham: Holy Innocents : Parish Register

Witnesses: John WOAD & Saml NASH. Bride & Groom signed x.

Elizabeth APPLETON   Baptism   01 Jul 1770   Kent   Adisham: Holy Innocents: Parish Register

Above records on freereg, then on family search a James and Mary appear as the parents the following children at Preston, Kent.

Edward 1774, William 1776, Phillip 1780, Timothy 1783, Henry 1785, Charles 1788, Mary 1789.

Not sure if this helps, maybe the record for John has not survived, or maybe wrong parents?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 24 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the record below on family search is an error, it appears amongst the baptisms posted above and I cannot find a suitable marriage for a James to Elizabeth?

John Appleton   Christening  14 June 1778 Preston, Kent
Parents James Appleton, Elisabeth Appleton

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 March 24 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, treedigger,

ColC has provided the correct information.  But, I have checked the actual Preston next Wingham parish records and attach the baptism for John Appleton in 1778.  Definitely the parents were recorded as James and Elis: Appleton.  This may be an error by the church as all other Appleton children surrounding that time are recorded as being the children of James and Mary Appleton.  I've also looked at the parish register for Adisham for the marriage of James Appleton and Mary Ellender and can say that James is definitely recorded as being of Preston parish and Mary of Adisham.

Marriage at Adisham:
James Appleton of the Parish of Preston, Bachelour and Mary Ellender of this Parish, Spinster were Married in this Church by Banns this 16th day of April in the Year One Thousand seven Hundred and Seventy by me J. Lucas Curate
This Marriage was solemnized between us: the mark of James Appleton, the mark of Mary Ellender
In the Presence of John Wood, Samll. Nash.

Baptisms at Preston next Wingham extracted from the Parish Register:
Jany 26th, 1772 James son of James & Mary Appleton
Feby 6, 1774 Edward son of James & Mary Appleton
April 14, 1776 William son of James & Mary Appleton was baptised at Preston
June 14th, 1778 John, son of James & Elis: Appleton
August 6th, 1780 Philip son of James and Mary Appleton
July 27th, 1783 Timothy, son of James & Mary Appleton
Sept 11, 1785 Henry, son of James & Mary Appleton

CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE