Author Topic: Gg mother or gg grandmother Maggie jamieson  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Welly07

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gg mother or gg grandmother Maggie jamieson
« on: Thursday 21 March 24 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello all in desperate need of dating a photo, it were in my grandad's belongs. My granddad was Scottish and my nan was Irish. 
We think the photo is of the Scottish side so grandads mother Maggie jamieson born 1910 and her sisters or Maggie's mum Annie Mcdonald born in 1878 and her sisters

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gg mother or gg grandmother Maggie jamieson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 24 12:56 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion this is a 1920s image. Lovely photo. They all look to be wearing the same kind of uniform, do you know what they did for a living. I can't make out the wording. Bus Conductors?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 24 13:54 GMT (UK) »
If this is the 1920s, Maggie would have been no more than 20 years old. I can just about see that for the two on the right, but I think the one on the left could be quite a bit older. And it would have to be late 1920s.

The words or initials on the collars are different from the ones on the caps. Welly - would you be able to do a higher resolution scan of just those bits, please? Also, whereabouts in Scotland did they live? If it's initials, it might give us a clue. (And while you're at it, where were the Irish family, just in case it's them.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 24 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to what I previously said, The two on the right (one seated and one standing) as you look at the photo are not wearing wedding rings. Alternatively, They could be Railway workers.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 24 14:03 GMT (UK) »
The letters on their lapels look like G & S W R - Glasgow and South Western Railway
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 March 24 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Nice one Bearcat, I can see that now. I ammended my post before you responsed  ;D
Carol

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 March 24 14:18 GMT (UK) »
The letters on their lapels look like G & S W R - Glasgow and South Western Railway

Close to what I thought I could see - I'm happy with that.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Welly07

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 March 24 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the replies

Maggie died at age 23 in 1933. Family made there way from lockwinoch, to Paisley then Glasgow and back to Lochwinnoch.

Irish side is from Cork city mostly from my research so far.

I have no idea how to get a better picture I'm really not the tech savvy sorry

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 March 24 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Maggie died at age 23 in 1933. Family made there way from lockwinoch, to Paisley then Glasgow and back to Lochwinnoch.

That fits with the G&SWR.

I have no idea how to get a better picture I'm really not the tech savvy sorry

If you can tell us what model of scanner/printer you used, someone might be able to guide you through it. You might also find something in its Help under 'crop' or 'resolution'. Failing that, my best guess for the cap bands would be their position in the company, or the station they worked at.