Author Topic: Follow the Old Paloney Man  (Read 267 times)

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Follow the Old Paloney Man
« on: Thursday 21 March 24 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to remember some of the Christmas party games we used to play as children back in Wandsworth in the 1950's. My Dad used to come up with one he called "Follow the Old Paloney Man", although I'm not sure how to spell "Paloney". It consisted of the family sitting in a circle having each chosen an imaginary instrument to play. My Dad would sit in the middle of us and as we all sang "Follow the Old Paloney Man", he would pretend to play one of the instruments we'd chosen. You had to watch him closely and if the instrument was the one you had chosen, you had to immediately play it too. Otherwise you would have to carry out a forfeit. I know that there are variations of this kind of game, but nobody seems to recognise this one. Also, who or what was a Paloney Man?
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
Re: Follow the Old Paloney Man
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 24 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Internet gives Paloney connected with some kind of caramel - but the text is in Polish.

Poloney I remember eating, apparently a soft pork/beef sausage, sliced, cold in salad or sandwiches.
Morrisons are advertising it.  Maybe someone came along the street selling it, and playing an instrument.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 24 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I was told it was a corruption of Bologna in Italy possibly where the tasty sausage originated .
It was round, the size of a teacup top and had a bright red skin .
Bolognia to Baloney —— Poloney, but I think the Polish origin is more likely .
Eastern Europe has a wonderful selection of sausages.
It was spreadable , smelt very tasty.Butchers sold it.

Viktoria.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 24 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Only found reference to one similar game, no mention of 'Old Paloney Man'.
Game 20 on the Blog below is called 'Dutch Band'

https://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/2022/12/14/20-christmas-party-games-from-years-gone-by/

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex