Author Topic: If an Englishman drowned off the coast of France, where was his death registered  (Read 1045 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
April 1915, Alexander ETHERIDGE b. 1848 Lepe, Hampshire, drowned on board the S.S Guernsey when the ship was shipwrecked just off the Cape la Hague, in France. He was a merchant seaman, regularly sailing the route being Southampton and the Channel Islands/France.

He was 68. I know about this record:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62598/images/i3121735-00074?pId=129936

I cannot find his death record on Anc, FindMyPast or FS. Nothing on Deaths index and no parish records. Nothing on Findagrave. Nothing on CWGC. Is the above record the 'official' notification, or would there be another source?

Can anyone track it down please?

NB: this is a different man to other Alexander Etheridges who I will list here:
1) The man who died 26 May 1915 in France/Flanders, soldier with London Regiment. Age 21. He's on CWGC and Find a Grave. It's not my man.
2) Another man of same name with Royal Garrison Artillery. Not the right man.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: If an Englishman drowned off the coast of France, where was his death registered
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 24 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I've checked on the French sites I can think of and can't find your Alexander (Alec).

Do you have any other details? For example parents' names and/or name of spouse, if any?
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: If an Englishman drowned off the coast of France, where was his death registered
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 24 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I've checked on the French sites I can think of and can't find your Alexander (Alec).

Do you have any other details? For example parents' names and/or name of spouse, if any?

Thaks for checking the French side of things.

His parents (John and Sarah) are enumerated at the family home in Exbury, Hampshire in 1871 ...but without him.
He wasn't married til after 1871. (Ellen Sarah SHELLY)

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Reason I was asking is that French death certificates usually give parents' names (with mother's maiden surname) and spouse's (with maiden surname) and that can help with a search and also help ensure that any "find" is probably the right one.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Reason I was asking is that French death certificates usually give parents' names (with mother's maiden surname) and spouse's (with maiden surname) and that can help with a search and also help ensure that any "find" is probably the right one.

Thanks for explaining.
MMN was ORMAN.
Other details in previous post...spouse surname SHELLY, sometimes spelt SHELLEY

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:18 GMT (UK) »
British Armed Forces And Overseas Deaths And Burials
Alec Etheridge age 68
b 1847 Lepe, Hants
d 9 April 1915
Cape la Hague, Guernsey
FindMyPast have this record, without a subscription you can get the transcription for 50p or the image £1, may only be an index.
see overseas records
https://www.gov.uk/research-family-history

Don't know if this is the record you have from Ancestry.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, this is the same record I mentioned in my OP, but thank you anyway, your efforts are much appreciated!

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Will look again tomorrow. Will need to try going through records of each town/village in the area as nothing coming up on a more general search.

Do you know whether his body was actually found or just noted as lost at sea?

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 24 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Will look again tomorrow. Will need to try going through records of each town/village in the area as nothing coming up on a more general search.

Do you know whether his body was actually found or just noted as lost at sea?

Thank you.
His body was found washed up the next day.