Author Topic: Frater/Weddle Family  (Read 227 times)

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alexander Frater & Penelope Hay
    • View Profile
Frater/Weddle Family
« on: Friday 22 March 24 00:05 GMT (UK) »
About to pull my hair out, I have looked at hundreds of tree's on ancestry and for the life of me I can not find one tree or one person that has any proof of birth or the parents of Thomas Frater supposedly born about 1769  and his marriage is suppose to be 1796 in FORD to Isabella Weddle still again no proof of marriage. Near every tree says that a David Frater and Dorothy Alison are the parents of Thomas. My gut tells me they are not but like every one else I have no proof. Ancestry it looks like one person added them as parents and everyone else just followed suit :( I have 11 children born to Thomas and Isabella all around the Kirknewton area. Both Thomas and Isabella are buried Bamburgh and Dorothy Alison is also buried there in 1804 find a grave lists her as 75 to 76 age, a had written copy of her burial say she was aged 86  which would of made her born abt 1718which would of made her abt 51 years of age when she supposedly gave birth to Thomas in abt 1769.  Can anyone shed any light on the birth and parents of Thomas. Thank you all.
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frater/Weddle Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 March 24 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Isabella's age in the 1851 census is 79. WHen she died in 1858, her age is consistent with a year of birth about 1771.

She seems to have had about 11 children between 1797 and 1816 (therefore she was aged between abt 27 and 46).

Someone has added biographical information to the Find a grave site which may or maynot be accurate.

As the first child was born in 1797, I think people have assumed the marriage was around then and recorded 1796 without any supporting document.

Middle names which appear for 2 of their children are "Allison" and"Allen", and this may suggest surnames from previous generations.
For instance, I see there is a marriage between a David Frater and Dorothy Allison in 1756.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 24 03:50 GMT (UK) »
oppps  I just realized I have posed once before about this but not much become of it either  :(  the other thread is here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832904.msg6975657#msg6975657
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 24 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I realise you have most of this and I note the other records you mention on Ancestry. It looks likely that the naming pattern has not been followed and the use of Alison as a middle name for Patrick in 1811, together with the 1756 marriage of David and Dorothy seem plausible but I do not see any baptisms for any children.

I have posted below in case it helps others.

Records on freereg unless stated.

Thomas Frater a shepherd & Isabella Weddle had the following children baptised at Kirknewton
Abode Kilham, then Akeld (Mothers surname on baptisms)

Thomas FRATER 8 Sep 1797, George FRATER 22 Dec 1798, Mary FRATER 23 Jun 1800, Jane FRATER 23 Apr 1802
James FRATER 24 Mar 1804, John FRATER 10 Jan 1806, David FRATER 12 Sep 1807, Isabella FRATER 11 May 1809
Patrick Alison FRATER 2 Jul 1811, Mathew FRATER 19 Aug 1813, Robert Allen FRATER 11 Feb 1816

Burials:
Dorothy FRATER   Burial   13 May 1804   Northumberland   Bamburgh: St Aidan: Bishop's Transcript
Notes: Died 11 May 1804 age 86, Widow, abode Newham. (Born about 1718)

Two possible burials for a David?

David FRATER   Burial   06 Dec 1799   Northumberland   Lowick: St John the Baptist: Bishop's Transcript
Notes: Died 3 Dec. Late a Shepherd age 70 abode Holburn Grange (born about 1729)

David FRATER   Burial   27 Mar 1779   Northumberland   Kirknewton: St Gregory the Great: Bishop's Transcript
No age abode Fleehope.

Burial one maybe, I will not repeat the words used on the notes but basically he was illegitimate father David.

David FRATER   Baptism   Mar 1728/9   Northumberland   Doddington: St Mary and St Michael: Other Transcript

This seems to be the only record in the County for a David on freereg before 1750.

Thomas 1769 – 17 April 1839 Bamburgh on find a grave.
Isabella 1771 – 7 July 1858 Bamburgh on find a grave.

In 1851 Isabella age 79 (1772), widow of a shepherd on parish relief (transcribed born Kirknewton but census form not clear eg: Ord?) is in Bamburgh with her daughter Isabella and her daughter Jane.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 24 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes  Colin Thank You   you setit all out better then i did  :)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 March 24 06:52 GMT (UK) »
The families of Frater and Weddle/Weddel seem to know each other.

Dorothy Frater of Balmbrough/ abode Mousin  married John Lilburn of Balbrough 28 June 1759

At St Aiden, Bamburgh   witness was William Weddel 

Ref: Freereg

Perhaps this is why they are hard to find, they are non conformist.
Grace Weddle daughter of William  born 19 January 1750/51 abode Mousin  Birth of a dissenter.

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 March 24 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Oh I am sure they would of known each other all small communities and in some cases many inter marriages.
I also have a John Frater who I think may be a brother of Thomas, never been able to find a marriage for him either or his parents. But like Thomas all of John Frater and Isabell Harvey children all baptised in Kirknewton.

Thhank You for your post amondg I might go and see what I can find on the Dorothy Frater and John Lilburn never seen this one before.

Chris