Author Topic: Henry Edward Stratford, New South Wales (d. 1890)  (Read 1975 times)

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Edward Stratford, New South Wales (d. 1890)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 March 24 00:56 GMT (UK) »
I'd like that very much, maddy! Thank you!

I have found Gustave Stratford's grave at the 'English Cemetery' in Florence his death entry in the Firenze archive of  July 1841.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 March 24 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Will send you a pm  :D

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Another son - did you know about Byron?

"Drowned in Tunis Bay, on the 3d November last, the Hon, Byron Stratford, son of the late Mason Gerard, Earl of Aldborough, and of Mary Arundel, his wife, aged 26."
Thursday,  Jan. 5, 1865
Publication: Fife Herald (Cupar, Scotland)

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, maddy, he was mentioned previously by Lucy on the New Zealand thread.

Mmm ... "Lady, Charlotte Florence STRATFORD"  ... I see there are numerous trees online which mention her "supposed parents".

PapersPast has some items which seem might link to "Mrs STRATFORD" .   ???

[I note the newspaper articles concerning the welfare of  Thomas Wm. STILLING's sons, and which mentions his other children who lived in Christchurch / Auckland / Greymouth, also make reference to a "Mrs STRATFORD". ]   Possibly Mrs STRATFORD was the mother of the child living at Greymouth ???

http://paperspast.govt.nz

"Grey River Argus" (Published at Greymouth)
 - 3 October 1872 -- Page 3 / column 1

... offering a reward for the return of a lost envelope containing a photograph of a gentleman, and on which is written "Hon. Byron STRATFORD".   Contact Mrs Florence STRATFORD, Retreat Hotel :

~  Lu

Apparently, the 5th Earl of Aldborough had 25 children, so far!

Another one was Frederick Stratford.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000322/18861001/112/0001

The British Newspaper Archive - Chelmsford Chronicle - Friday 01 October 1886

STRATFORD. - On the 14th August, 1886, at Hornchurch, Essex, Frederick Stratford, son of the late Mason Gerard Stratford, of Baltinglass, county Wicklow, aged 66. Foreign papers, please copy.

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 12:54 GMT (UK) »
His shenanigans should have been the subject of a film, or perhaps a TV series!  ;D

Anyone interested in writing down this drama? From 1697 Middlesex to 2022 Australia, from the 1st Earl of Alborough to the Somerton Man.

Lots of illegitimate children, a suicide, a possible fratricide (I haven't been able to find what happened to the brother whose health was 'precarious' after being shot by Gustave), two death sentences an one prison sentence commuted to exile, almost 20 years in Australia without a single evidence, until the 3 exiled brothers married, at the advanced ages of 41 (Charles), estimated 50 (Henry Mason), and who knows what happened to Edward?

If he's not 'my' Henry Edward, who was a 'gentleman', 'esquire', and J.P., married a member of the Stratford family (Wilhelmina Lyne Stratford), also at the advanced estimated age of 50, used to be amongst the gentleman attending the British Royalty's visits to Australia, and named his first son Mason Gerard Stratford, then he was probably at least a close relative!

I wonder if they had inherited their father's procriating genes and had other 'wives' and children that we are unaware of during these 20-30 years between arriving in Australia in Nov 1852 (Henry and Edward) and Nov 1853 (Charles) to their marriages in 1871 (Charles), 1875 (Henry Edward), and 1882 (Henry Mason).

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 13:16 GMT (UK) »
And Byron Stratford's death occured one year before, according to

The Nautical Magazine and Naval Chronicle for 1864 - A Journal of Papers on Subjects Connected with Maritime Affairs, London, 1864, page 684.

"The following is a list of the officers and men capsized in H.M.S. Orlando's cutter, November 3rd, 1864: - Albert P. Still, lieutenant; Charles B. Wood, surgeon; Edward F. Pritchard, captain R.M.L.I.; Byron Stratford, assistant-paymaster; (...)"

Most newspaper clippings and even Paul Gorry in his book Baltinglass Chronicles state the wrong date.

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 14:30 GMT (UK) »
A glimpse of the resting place of the 5th Earl of Aldborough, Mason Gerard Stratford, d. 1849, and his daughter Jane (Giannetta in the Livorno registers), d. 1851.

If anyone ever goes to Livorno, pay a visit! I'd love to!

https://livornodailyphoto.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-english-cemetery.html

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I've found Jane Stratford's death record under the Deaths of Non-Catholic worship (Morti, Culto Non-Cattolico), Livorno, 1851, page 470.

Her name is written in Italian, Giannetta.

Stratford, Giannetta. Protestant. 16 Sep 1851, aged 15. Father: Mason Gerard Stratford. Mother: Arundel. Place: Livorno. Reg. Number. 74. (side note: 'Conte di Aldborough'.

It took me a while, given that the only available source sates that she was buried in 1854. One more wrong date, among many!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 08:43 GMT (UK) »
And Byron Stratford's death occured one year before, according to

The Nautical Magazine and Naval Chronicle for 1864 - A Journal of Papers on Subjects Connected with Maritime Affairs, London, 1864, page 684.

"The following is a list of the officers and men capsized in H.M.S. Orlando's cutter, November 3rd, 1864: - Albert P. Still, lieutenant; Charles B. Wood, surgeon; Edward F. Pritchard, captain R.M.L.I.; Byron Stratford, assistant-paymaster; (...)"

Most newspaper clippings and even Paul Gorry in his book Baltinglass Chronicles state the wrong date.

Looks like the same date as on the death notice I posted from the Fife Herald.  ;)  "3d November last" printed on 5th Jan 1865.