Author Topic: Finding a will beneficiary called Nicola. How do "THEY" do it?  (Read 2538 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a will beneficiary called Nicola. How do "THEY" do it?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 March 24 17:40 GMT (UK) »
In 2020 I was able to view the current Electoral Register at the local Town Hall.
I just needed 1 address looking up.
Not my entry; nothing to sign; but supervised access.

Of course, this was in the Isle of Man, so maybe different rules?
And I did ask politely! ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 March 24 06:36 GMT (UK) »

What does 1994 refer to. Is it the year of death, year the Will was written, year of execution?.

What does Nicola receive?. Something substantial such as money or a personal item,  a memento?

How does this compere with what other beneficiaries receive?. What age is the deceased person, godparent of Nicola?

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 March 24 09:39 GMT (UK) »
But when filling in the form, you can tick for your name not to be included on a publically-available list

That only removes you from the "open register" - the version that is sold to marketing companies and is available to view on-line (via FindMyPast and many other sites).

Everyone is included on the full register.  which can be viewed - I last did it about 4 years ago. I spent about an hour going through the pages for a particular town looking for a name, but wasn't allowed to photocopy it or take any photos of it. I was supervised for about the first 10mins until the council officer decided they had something better to do and left me to it.

Different councils interpret the right to access in different ways - the guidance for one borough (Bracknell) is attached for example.

The British Library has the most complete collection of electoral rolls.

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 March 24 10:28 GMT (UK) »
The regulations must be somewhat unspecific, which allows different interpretations.  This Berkshire document is the Registration Officer's interpretation of current responsibilities.  The problem which arose about 20 years ago was some registration officers saying that record offices would not be allowed to have a copy at all.  The regulations were apparently drafted without a clear thought about the value of the full registers for historical research.

There must have been a fuss, because that changed, but I don't know if there is now a statutory closure period beyond the current year.  There is probably a restriction on the date when on-line sites can load registers, to prevent copying. 

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 March 24 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes I suspect the police certainly have searching powers beyond mere mortals.
This is not relevant to this enquiry, but the police certainly are able to find some types of information that we can't, for example my husband recently received a letter from the Force Crime Reduction department of our county police, warning him that cars of our particular make and model are particularly susceptible to the  theft of catalytic convertors and giving him advice on how to keep our car safe from theft. The letter must have been sent to all relevant car owners in our area (Devon & Cornwall). This must have taken some co-operation with the DVLA, but I guess they are frequently in contact with them when tracing ownership of cars.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 March 24 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Access to the full electoral register by the public is mandated by law. The current rules, which have been heavily amended since, are contained in The Representation of the People (England and Wales) Regulations 2001 [SI 341/2001]. There are dozens of statutory instruments (11 last year alone) governing the work of registration officers so it is hardly surprising if their staff get a little confused over the exact rules governing the right of access. It is also interesting to note the wide number of individuals and organisations who are permitted to have copies of the full register.

Anyway to get back to the OP's problem, if he can get to the British Library, they hold the largest collection of old electoral registers, and when I last accessed them, many were on the open shelves, (although not those after 2001). By going down that route you may be able to do what AntonyMMM was able to do in 2020 (presumably pre pandemic!). That said, the day to day working of the BL is severely limited at present due to the effects of their massive data breach last year.

However since these registers will be paper copies it doesn't really help with finding someone once they move away from the known address. At best it might provide names of other people at the same address who might be NIcola's family (and so lead to a chance of finding her birth registration) or even a potential future husband etc.

Incidentally, an earlier posting mentioned using solicitors. They don't have access to the full register either but can make requests to the registration officers in specific cases. However it is far more likely they will employ an investigation agency, who will often use less than entirely legal methods to trace people (cf the various scandals involving the press and access to confidential personal information, aka phone hacking).

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 March 24 12:07 GMT (UK) »
This is not relevant to this enquiry, but the police certainly are able to find some types of information that we can't, for example my husband recently received a letter from the Force Crime Reduction department of our county police, warning him that cars of our particular make and model are particularly susceptible to the  theft of catalytic convertors and giving him advice on how to keep our car safe from theft. The letter must have been sent to all relevant car owners in our area (Devon & Cornwall). This must have taken some co-operation with the DVLA, but I guess they are frequently in contact with them when tracing ownership of cars.

No need. They just search the Police National Computer which is continuously updated with DVLA records. A relatively simple search for vehicles of a specific make and model having registered keepers in the specified area will provide that information.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 March 24 12:23 GMT (UK) »
What does 1994 refer to. Is it the year of death, year the Will was written, year of execution?.
What does Nicola receive?. Something substantial such as money or a personal item,  a memento?
How does this compare with what other beneficiaries receive?. What age is the deceased person, godparent of Nicola?
Looking forward to an answer to these questions from OP.

Could a solicitor contact the GP surgery[ies] close to last known address, including a letter to be sent on to Nicola? GPs records will have NHS number and maybe NI number, through which a current [British] location and address can be found [not by ordinary mortals]. This happened to a friend who had lost touch with his family; when his father died 20 years later and left him a legacy, a solicitor wrote to mother/father's GP who was able to contact authorities - who located friend through NI & NHS numbers - and the letter was sent on by [I think] DWP o rmay have been sent to current GP. He received the letter within a few weeks.

If Nicola has moved abroad - even more difficult!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 March 24 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Going through paper electoral rolls is looking for a needle in a haystack.

I spent all afternoon a few years ago looking through the ER’s for one village, there were two printed and bound volumes to work through.

Unless you know where the beneficiary went to live you could be in the British Library for the rest of your life.

If you have an idea of their age try looking on Social Media platforms as well as all the other suggestions.