Author Topic: Finding a will beneficiary called Nicola. How do "THEY" do it?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline SouthseaSteel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding a will beneficiary called Nicola. How do "THEY" do it?
« on: Friday 22 March 24 15:57 GMT (UK) »

I am executing a 1994 will that includes a god daughter of the deceased as a beneficiary.  She is completely unknown to the family, friends and to other executors.  All we know is her 1994 address which is not local, although that we do know that house was sold in 1998.  Her name is not that unusual and all my genealogical resources including electoral rolls, telephone directories as well as social media etc hasnt helped track her down.  We dont even know if this was her given or married name and in theory she could have been born anytime anywhere from the 1940s to 1994!!! (We have focussed on possible BDMs local to the deceased but that hasnt helped in any way).

We have tried and failed to locate said beneficiary.  However I am told the lawyers will now take over. 

My question is do such estate lawyers and for that matter I suppose officialdom such as the police have access to other resources that are not accessible to mere mortals like us to locate these people? 

Many tx

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a will beneficiary called Nicola. How do "THEY" do it?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 March 24 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes I suspect the police certainly have searching powers beyond mere mortals. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 24 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Can you look at the address on electoral rolls and glean other residents to see if their forenames are unusual?

You still don't need lawyers, advertising in the London gazette should cover your liability
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline SouthseaSteel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 24 16:16 GMT (UK) »

"Can you look at the address on electoral rolls and glean other residents to see if their forenames are unusual?

You still don't need lawyers, advertising in the London gazette should cover your liability"

Yes, we are looking at ways to cover our butts such as the London Gazette and indemnities etc but as a genealogist I am intrigued as to what is available out there!!

I suppose the police could access local council and NHS records etc etc but I'm not so sure about lawyers!!!!

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 24 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Is it worth a visit to the location of the street of last known address, I realise it's not local to your location but may pay dividends in the end search.
A long shot but someone on the street may remember the occupants of the house.
Even a snippet of information may open up the search.
That's what I would do .
Good luck let us know the outcome.
Helen.
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 March 24 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Does the text of the will make any reference to the need for a trust to be set up for the goddaughter? If it doesn't I think you can assume she had reached the age of majority (ie 18) by 1998 (equally if a trust was stipulated then that also tells you something about when she was born). That would allow you to narrow her birth date to between the 1940s to 1980 at least. Have you considered where the testator might have been living when he/she became the god parent? This in turn might suggest a part of the country in which to look for baptisms for Nicola. Maybe even just searching on her Christian name in a local area would be worthwhile. Provided that the baptism details for the particular area(s) are available online and you can find an image of the parish register, you can then look for the testator's details. The first place I would check for this purpose is FreeReg as their transcriptions frequently include the names of godparents whereas those on FindMyPast, for example, tend not to.

Obviously this not a trivial task, but it sounds like you've exhausted all the easy ones. By the way, don't just rely on electoral registers; check Companies House, as it's surprising how many people have been company officers at one time or another.

By way of encouragement, yesterday afternoon  I received a copy of a will made in 1999 which included an unrelated beneficiary whose name and address that I had no previous knowledge of, and by lunchtime today I had her current address, her birth details, occupation, current contact details and even a picture of her, so it can be done with a bit of luck.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 March 24 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Did you consider looking for a marriage/engagement announcement between <your known firstname> <telephone directory surname> and<unknown first name> <your known surname> ?

S_L

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 March 24 11:09 GMT (UK) »

I am executing a 1994 will that includes a god daughter of the deceased as a beneficiary.  She is completely unknown to the family, friends and to other executors.  All we know is her 1994 address which is not local, although that we do know that house was sold in 1998.  Her name is not that unusual and all my genealogical resources including electoral rolls, telephone directories as well as social media etc hasnt helped track her down.  We dont even know if this was her given or married name and in theory she could have been born anytime anywhere from the 1940s to 1994!!! (We have focussed on possible BDMs local to the deceased but that hasnt helped in any way).

We have tried and failed to locate said beneficiary.  However I am told the lawyers will now take over. 

If you are the executor, who is telling the lawyers to take over ?

I've done a lot of work tracing living relatives, and in my previous (police) career looking for missing people.

You need to look at the evidence you have - a name and an address from about 30 years ago. You need to be able to link the name to the address in some way.

I would be starting by looking at the electoral roll for the 1990s for the address (not relying on any on-line versions)- you need to be searching the physical register, for the address for 1994, and a few years either side.  A  god-daughter may not appear if too young at the time, but parents/siblings hopefully will. Remember, you don't need to find the person themselves - just anyone who knows where she might be, so look for ALL potential family members.

Depending on the type of address it is, I would go knocking on doors to try and identify any current neighbour who may have been living there at the time and may have any memories of who lived there.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 March 24 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Are any of the deceased 's friends still alive? They may be able to help.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344