Author Topic: Help needed please with part of a letter  (Read 683 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed please with part of a letter
« on: Friday 22 March 24 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Dated 8 July 1944, the address is Clinique de La Sagesse, Rue Pere de Monfort, Rennes, France Libre ! and was written by one of the Sisters of the Order (my husband's G Aunt). This was the first opportunity for many years to send a letter home, due to the occupation, to her family in Liverpool.

I'm having difficulty with the words in italics but am ok with the rest of it, though have no idea what 'at the Wireless' refers to - though as she had been in France for about 15 years her letters show that she was no longer used to speaking in English and some of her phrasing in the letters is definitely a literal translation to English rather than colloquial English which was her her mother tongue perhaps she meant he made speeches on the wireless but unless I can decipher his name I can't even begin to try to find out

"one of our Doctors introduced me to the Deputy of
General De Gaulle and General Koenig and John
[can't read word] the famous speaker at the Wireless
. I visited
the patients with them and distributed chocolate
and cigarettes, General De Gaulle is coming soon,
I expect to see him."

Any help would be appreciated
Boo

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed please with part of a letter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 24 21:21 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Mosen or Mosin to me or maybe Masen perhaps.  You would have to try and find out who was around at the relevant time as a speaker. 
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 24 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Girl Guide, I have tried but obviously not using the right search terms, Its puzzled me for years - only having access to the letters she sent and no idea what the replies may have said  doesn't help! (Maybe someone asked the same question long ago)

These letters are precious to us, a super glimpse into the times as well as into family history.
This lady was interned by the German forces - at gun point, along with other British born nuns of the convent who had been in France for many years. She was most distressed when her Reverend Mother insisted that she contact the Irish Embassy as her father was born in Ireland and their intervention resulted in her being released from the camp and returned to Rennes. I think she felt guilty about leaving the others in the camp.

Boo

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 24 21:49 GMT (UK) »
The third letter could be an 'R' or 'S'
 and the first letter might be a 'M' or 'W'

I wonder if it is a French name the writer couldn't quite spell correctly.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 24 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neale1961, among the many theories we have had is that whatever the surname she referred to him as John _ so its possible he was British or at  least from an English speaking country.
I feel that if he had been French she would have referred to him as Jean _.

its likely to remain on the very long list of things we may never know :-)

Boo

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 24 18:18 GMT (UK) »
This is a really interesting story.  What about the possibility that your aunt also used French and English the opposite way, so Jean would have become John?

After a bit of searching there was a BBC French speaking radio station transmitted from London, Radio Londres. After Charles De Gaulle initial broadcast on Radio Londres (July 1940) a young man named Yve Morvan made his way to De Gaulle's house in London to say he wanted to join his movement.  De Gaulle asked him to continue to broadcast with the station. He agreed and it became one of the most popular broadcast among the French. It was "Les Français parlent aux Français". He broadcast, not under his real name, but under the name of Jean Marin and stayed with the station until 1943 when De Gaulle allowed him to join the Free French Forces. He became part of  force entering Paris in 1944 and was one of the very few people to be invited to De Gaulles home for dinner and often given a box of Havannah cigars when he went.  De Gaulle described him as "one of the best of us".

Could he be John M? in your aunt's letter?

Added: his wiki page suggests he was in Renne at its liberation.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 March 24 09:24 GMT (UK) »
<snip>
After Charles De Gaulle initial broadcast on Radio Londres (July 1940) a young man named Yve Morvan made his way to De Gaulle's house in London to say he wanted to join his movement.  De Gaulle asked him to continue to broadcast with the station. He agreed and it became one of the most popular broadcast among the French. It was "Les Français parlent aux Français". He broadcast, not under his real name, but under the name of Jean Marin and stayed with the station until 1943 when De Gaulle allowed him to join the Free French Forces.
Could he be John M? in your aunt's letter?

Added: his wiki page suggests he was in Renne at its liberation.

Many thanks Gan Yam, that its a super find and I am really grateful for your help :-)
Yes, when I think about it logically this was written to her family in Liverpool, I'd imagine that if she'd written 'Jean' they may have thought she was talking about a lady, so she translated his name into the English version.

and the list of things I may never know has just reduced by one!

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile