Author Topic: Maltese Newspapers 1860's with shipping news - Any available online?  (Read 229 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Maltese Newspapers 1860's with shipping news - Any available online?
« on: Friday 22 March 24 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

I've been going round and round in circles with Google, so am asking you. I'd like to find 1860's Maltese online newspapers with shipping news, in English preferably, but in Italian or Maltese will also do. Much obliged if anyone here can point me to the right website(s).

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maltese Newspapers 1860's with shipping news - Any available online?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 24 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Mentioned in the abstract of a thesis at the University of Malta on Maltese newspapers from 1839 to 1939:
https://www.digivault.eu/
Select time period as year e.g. 1861
type as newspaper
subject try the likes of malta, gazzetta, giornale
I came up with an Italian language political paper that listed shipping news on the second page, the pages are individually linked as images towards the bottom of the selected search result (not all issues have been digitised)

S_L

The thesis is described here: https://www.um.edu.mt/library/oar/handle/123456789/39394

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 24 03:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you, still_looking, I will try your suggestion. My apologies for taking so long to reply; I have been without computer access. My hope is to get some more information about a ship that foundered somewhere between Enos and Malta.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 April 24 11:50 BST (UK) »
No gaurantee that it would be included but had you looked at Lloyd's list?

Link below is to January 1860 but you can select other months, the publication was weekly.
https://www.uspcs.org/resource-center/research-projects/lloyds-list-newspapers-2/?uspcs-year-month=1860-01

S_L

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hello again, still_looking. Yes, I've done Lloyd's List backwards and forwards many times because I have over 100 sailing vessels of interest and I've done histories for most of them, and still working on some.

But this particular one is special - a barque from Shiefds, her last recorded notation was of leaving Enos for Malta and I had (faintly) hoped that by going through the Maltese papers I might find some other tidbits that were possibly her, such as wreckage from an unidentified vessel coming ashore, a cluster of bodies washed  up on shore, that sort of thing.

Thank you again for your help.

Cheers,
Westoe