Author Topic: Marcelle Marie Rougé or Burgess  (Read 113 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Marcelle Marie Rougé or Burgess
« on: Saturday 23 March 24 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Marcelle Marie Rougé, daughter of Joseph René Basset Rougé, said to have been born in Portugal, married Alfred Burgess (1903-1977) on 12 January 1935 in Kampala. She left him in 1942 and in spite of his wish for her to return to him, and her father urging her to do so, she refused, and in 1950 Alfred divorced her in the Scottish courts for desertion. The divorce papers noted that she was living in South Africa.

Can anyone suggest where, if anywhere, I might find out anything more about her?

Background: Alfred was born and brought up in Scotland. He married his childhood sweetheart Mary Dayton (Detty) Sinclair (1905-1997) after the divorce from Marcelle but I do not know where or when. He lived at Njoro, Kenya. He was involved at various times in coffee planting, haulage, roadbuilding and pig farming, and failed financially at least twice.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marcelle Marie Rougé or Burgess
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 24 11:00 GMT (UK) »
The marriage to Mary Sinclair is reported in the Perthshire advertiser 18 Jan 1950
At Jinja, on shores of Lake Victoria, Uganda

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Marcelle Marie Rougé or Burgess
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 24 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Ah, thank you. That item has been added to the Newspaper Archive since I last looked there for Alfred :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.