Author Topic: Looking for Information about Elenor Laurence, 1865, possibly Swinton, Rotherham  (Read 219 times)

Offline frada14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm trying to find any information about my ancestor Elenor Laurance, the only records I can find on her are her marriage certificate and her death record, but I can't find her before her marriage. Not in either the 1871 or 1881 census before her marriage, I'll add all the details I know about her.

Marriage
Marriage to James Parker 8th September 1884, Swinton, Rotherham, S. Yorks.
Age 19 and a half (which would have her birth as abt 1865), a spinster living in Swinton father named John Laurance a miner.

I have checked different spellings of both Elenor and Laurence in the 1881 census in and around the Swinton area, and I have looked for her in the 1871 census, again nothing.

Death
21 July 1890, Swinton, Rotherham.

I have yet to find any other records for her, no birth or baptism record, could it be that she wasn't baptised? Could she be illegitimate and made up the name of John Laurence? or an Orphan? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Information about Elenor Laurence, 1865, possibly Swinton, Rotherham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 24 13:09 GMT (UK) »

If, so far, the earliest evidence you have that your Eleanor existed is her name on the marriage certificate, 1884, then everything else on the certificate is important.  Including -

What church did she marry in?

What names for witnesses?

What details for husband?

Offline frada14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Information about Elenor Laurence, 1865, possibly Swinton, Rotherham
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 24 13:45 GMT (UK) »

If, so far, the earliest evidence you have that your Eleanor existed is her name on the marriage certificate, 1884, then everything else on the certificate is important.  Including -

What church did she marry in?

What names for witnesses?

What details for husband?

Thanks for the reply!

On the marriage certificate;
Marriage is solemnized at the parish church in the parish of Swinton.
Husband - James Parker, 22, bachelor, miner, Swinton, father William Parker - miner.
Witnesses - William Collins and Hannah Hill

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 24 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Miners were one of the more mobile occupations, so she might not necessarily have been born in Swinton.

One family that might be worth investigating is of a John Lawrence in Swinton in the 1881 census - RG11/4683 fo71 p40. He and the 4 older sons listed are all miners, and all were born in Staffordshire. There's another younger son aged 12, also born Staffordshire, suggesting they didn't go to Swinton before about 1869.

This same family seems to be in Cannock, Staffs in 1871 (RG10/2925 fo25 p44), and there's an Ellen aged 5. Looks promising....

Added:
I think this Ellen (as Elenor) in still in Staffordshire in 1881, with her brother Thomas.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 24 14:43 GMT (UK) »
21 July 1890 is a BURIAL date for Ellen Parker, aged 26.

Transcript in Genuki for Swinton St. Margaret: https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/WathUponDearne/SwintonBurials1889-1892

Offline frada14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Miners were one of the more mobile occupations, so she might not necessarily have been born in Swinton.

One family that might be worth investigating is of a John Lawrence in Swinton in the 1881 census - RG11/4683 fo71 p40. He and the 4 older sons listed are all miners, and all were born in Staffordshire. There's another younger son aged 12, also born Staffordshire, suggesting they didn't go to Swinton before about 1869.

This same family seems to be in Cannock, Staffs in 1871 (RG10/2925 fo25 p44), and there's an Ellen aged 5. Looks promising....

Added:
I think this Ellen (as Elenor) in still in Staffordshire in 1881, with her brother Thomas.

Thanks for the reply!
I've had a look at both records and it certainly looks promising!
what I find interesting is that this Ellen came from Staffordshire as did her father-in-law William Parker who was also a miner and moved about.
Yes, that is true that miners did move around more than other workers, I have a lot of mining history where majority of my ancestors have moved about from one colliery to the next.

Offline frada14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
21 July 1890 is a BURIAL date for Ellen Parker, aged 26.

Transcript in Genuki for Swinton St. Margaret: https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/WathUponDearne/SwintonBurials1889-1892

Thanks! That was my mistake, I typed it in as death instead of burial, apologise for the confusion!

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
Not to worry!

Co-incidentally - you may be interested in the post I just made in the photo, tea & chatter room - very close to Swinton.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=881253.27