Author Topic: Tracing the Family Doctor from your childhood? A different NHS in the 1940s!  (Read 1613 times)

Offline elliot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The family Doctor was always an iconic figure in our family post War, 'Doctor Stoll', but what was his first forename!

Using Google Streetview, I see that his one-man surgery address is now a Dentists but in 2008 it was 'Heath Health Care' at 6,Constantine Road NW3.

From an Obit. the most likely man [Lionel died aged 100 in 2007] had several STOLL brothers, possibly born in Lithuania,  all Doctors in NW London phone book, Lionel Julian 1907, Basil Arnold 1917, and Henry 1913 [so far] and not all living 'over the shop'.

Have you ever reflected upon the significance of your family doctor in our childhood and later life? A different NHS today, before the 'take your pick' of the Group Practices where you rarely see the same GP twice!
Who was your most memorable Doctor? Do you know their forenames? Are they still living?

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the Family Doctor from your childhood? A different NHS in the 1940s!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 March 24 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I remember our GP, Doctor Mary Mitchell pre the NHS. Her surgery was in her house, now replaced with a block of flats. She took on a femail partner, Doctor Noel Carr. When I was four I was rather ill with pneumonia and she called and gave me tablets, the next day I came out in spots, it was measles. I was convinced the tablets caused the measles and that the doctor gave them to me to sop be being a bridesmaid the following week ;D

Those were the days when the  doctors did regular home visits, day or night  and rather than appointments, you just turned up at the surgery and joined the queue. When Doctor Mitchell retired her replacement, Dr Am Wyatt, went above and beyond for her patients. I remember when my father was very ill she would often pop in without being called, just to make sure he didn't need anything. I can't imagine  the GPs today doing that.

All though it has relocated twice, I have been with the same practice most of my life, except for the years I accompanied my husband on Army postings. Now there are five GPs and you have to wait ages just to get a telephone appointment.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the Family Doctor from your childhood? A different NHS in the 1940s!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 March 24 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I always remember my first doctor in the 50s who had a prominent sign in the waiting room which read 'prescribing is the art of keeping a patient happy whilst nature effects a cure'.
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 March 24 13:24 GMT (UK) »
My old family doctor was one of 3 from the same family.
Known as Dr Jimmy, Dr Roger and Dr Margaret! Never by surname.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 24 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I remember my Doctor making a visit to the hospital after I had both of my children, Son born in 1971 and Daughter born in 1974. A further visit was made by him after I came home, and the midwife also came to see me at home after both Children were born.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 24 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a photo of my first doctor in the family album.  Dr. Evans.  My mother had had some difficulties before I was born.  Later, the doctor called in when someone happened to be taking pictures of the family in the garden.  Apparently he said "Will you take one of me with the baby?  I have had quite a lot to do with her arriving safely."  So there he is, with the other family photos.

Only a few years later he decided he was not happy with the NHS, and emigrated to Canada.  Anyone seen him there?

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 March 24 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I well remember my first doctor, Dr Hakeem, I’m told he brought me into this world in the days before the NHS, and was our doctor for the next 20 years.

He did his “rounds” on a bike, in those days you asked the doctor to call rather than go to see him.

When the NHS came along you went and sat in his front room and waited your turn, nothing changed,
you described your symptoms and a relaxed laid back doctor said, I will prescribe you a tonic, off you went feeling much better.

I remember my elder sister having acute appendicitis, off to hospital for an operation, three weeks in hospital, with a real possibility that complications could be fatal.

When he retired he was replaced by a compatriot, Dr Naidoo, equally reassuring and laid back, you left again with your tonic, reassured that this would cure everything, it obviously did, since I am still here ;D ;D ;D.

I stayed with this practice till I retired.

Mike

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 March 24 14:32 GMT (UK) »
My first family doctor worked from his surgery which was attached to his house.

I always thought he was very old, ancient in my eyes.

|I looked him up on the 1939 register and he would have been 58 years old when I was born so early- middle 60s when I remembered him, shows how you view of ages changes as you get older.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 March 24 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I managed to trace mine a couple of years ago. From being a child, I remember him being very, very old. I was surprised to find out that he retired quite recently.