Author Topic: Tracing the Family Doctor from your childhood? A different NHS in the 1940s!  (Read 1614 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the Family Doctor from your childhood? A different NHS in the 1940s!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I believe I only saw my family doctor twice as a child, as an 8 year old (was very sick with something the doc said I likely picked up at a local outdoor pool) and at 17.  The latter was just before going off to live in residence at college and a cursory physical was needed.  I think our universal healthcare began the following year.  He was a French Canadian by the name of Noel Pelletier and I remember he too, smoking in his office while he dealt with me.  Certainly wouldn’t be allowed today!
Was in England in 1966 and on my return home would be going to Guide camp, and needed a check up, for some unknown reason my mother decided to take me a doctor who was a friend of some family member (Brighton/Hove) and the least said about him the better.  I am glad my mother was in the room with me.  I was back in England with her in 1991 and wouldn’t you know, this doctor drove us somewhere!  I was very uncomfortable and couldn’t wait to get out of the car.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the Family Doctor from your childhood? A different NHS in the 1940s!
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 March 24 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Mesh drawstring net bags with fresh barley straw in it, weighed down with a hefty stone will sort out your pond's green hue, Viktoria. I have 4 large ones in one pond, three in another, and two in the smallest. Take out each winter, let the straw go on a border or compost heap, wash the bags - I do them with garden fleeces in a big net bag in the washer. When dry re-fill with new straw, tie in a bow and re-sink. Worked for years, no effort, really.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 March 24 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I have heard of that and how well it works ,my pond is only small, just enough for three small goldfish , but no harm in trying with a small amount.
I am very fond of them,very tame .
Thanks for the tip.
Lovely day mostly here ,but a very blustery night with heavy storms last night.
Have bakes two chocolate cakes ,one fir Sunday when eldest son and his wife will join us for tea and one for Monday when Flash Harry ,Kyra and their zmummy and Daddy come for the day before heading South home to Suffolk.
I have made play dough for them  .
A big chicken and salad and nice bread rolls ,then yogs or ice cream and or chocolate cake with chocolate nests I have made with mini eggs in them .

A Thomas The Tank Engine book for FH and aPeppa Pig activity book for Kyra.

Clock go forward tomorrow folks !
Cheerio .Viktoria.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 March 24 22:28 GMT (UK) »
  Clocks going forward for Easter Sunday! Glad I wasn't planning to go to any early services - I can probably cope with 11.00 even if it is really 10.00. ::)
   Eldest grand daughter is 18 on Easter Sunday.
  (I have just realised this is on the "family doctor" thread, so a bit off topic!)
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 March 24 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Not so off topic as I!
So determined not to forget the clocks go forward —- I changed them all last night!
So I will be in a tizzwozz all day now!
 ::)
Viktoria—- well I was all last week!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 30 March 24 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Not as off topic as me, replying to Viktoria! Sorry.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 March 24 14:55 GMT (UK) »
My childhood doctor - "a warm and friendly doctor."  Actually, I recall her as cold, distant and intimidating.  Fortunately, I was healthy kid and didn't see much of her except for routine checkups.

https://old-school-boston.blogspot.com/2013/02/remembering-pediatrician-dr-perry-in.html
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 30 March 24 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Very easy in my case, my family have lived in the same village since 1806. We still have a house there. The two practice doctors were friends. I moved 44 years ago but still know the village family doctors.  In fact  one phone me while I was visiting my dad in hospital so that I could tell him how dad was a couple of years ago, and he always phoned me when my parents and brother  passed away to make sure I was ok even though he isn’t my gp.  My own gp is another matter  >:( :-X
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 30 March 24 17:53 GMT (UK) »
  You are lucky to have an "own GP" let alone "village family doctors". Both dying breeds. Round here GP practices have 2 or more health centres in villages several miles apart, with a changing cast of doctors. I am lucky enough so far not to have much need of them, and when I have needed appointments I try to get the same doctor, but he mainly practices in one of the further away centres.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire