Author Topic: Tracing the Family Doctor from your childhood? A different NHS in the 1940s!  (Read 1696 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the Family Doctor from your childhood? A different NHS in the 1940s!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 01 April 24 13:29 BST (UK) »
GP, what's a GP??
All changed, and not I fear, for the better in NHS.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the Family Doctor from your childhood? A different NHS in the 1940s!
« Reply #28 on: Monday 01 April 24 14:09 BST (UK) »
My childhood doctor was Dr Houston, who had a practice with Dr Gofton and Dr Walls in North Shields town centre.

I had to make frequent visits as I suffered from repeated earache.

I found him quite scary. He had a very dour demeanor.

He seemed to be a heavy smoker as he kept a large supply of cigarettes displayed on his desk!  :o

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 01 April 24 14:19 BST (UK) »
Not the 1940's but I worked at the Department of General Practice of Manchester University in the 1960's 1970's.  We had such a variety of doctors, some excellent, some absolutely useless.  The one who stands out in my memory is the only one NOT employed by the University.  He was the one who would extend his surgeries if they were nearly full, and he was the one who would attend any road accidents outside the practice (a busy crossroads).  And what I really loved about him were his referral letters for his patients - short and very much to the point.  8)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 April 24 23:25 BST (UK) »
Threlfall Yorkie ,off topic I know but I have googled thevstraw for ponds and for £3-99 with cheap postage I can get four brick sized bundles of barley straw
for small ponds ,use one at a time.
So many thanks ,I will send for some tomorrow.
The pond will need ckesning out anyway but a clean start and bundle in might be all that is needed with perhaps more shade.
It won’t clear a pond but will help to keep it free from algae and blanket
weed .
Thanks again .
Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 14:01 BST (UK) »
I'm going to try to get down to doing mine today. I got a small bale of the straw from "The Range", and will extract some from what's left of that.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 14:36 BST (UK) »
Dr James McDowall. He was a sole practitioner working out of his study at home.  It was one of those Edwardian houses with a square hall and we all sat in there waiting to be called into the inner sanctum.

As per his name, he was a Scot and could be dour with it. When one of our neighbours went to see him with concerns about falling hair, his response was to say "What are you worrying about? You can get a wig on the National Health!"

Despite that, he could be very kind. He came out on Christmas morning when I had measles as a three year old, and he took me to hospital wrapped in a blanket in the back of his car when I had appendicitis as a nine year old, and visited without being asked to when he knew I was out of hospital the following week.

When I looked him up on Ancestry some time ago, I was surprised to find that he graduated only twenty or so years before I knew him, so would have been, from where I am now, still a relatively young man, although he seemed old and serious to me.
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.