Author Topic: 2 Gordons 1944  (Read 215 times)

Online AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2 Gordons 1944
« on: Sunday 24 March 24 12:44 GMT (UK) »
My late father landed in Normandy with 2 Gordons some days after D-Day and advanced towards Caen. They never reached it as the field they were told was clear had German machine guns and mortars in the hedges at the side. Of the 900 men who started,100 reached the other end. My father was wounded and eventually air-lifted home and returned to Germany after the war with the CCG.
My question is, does anyone know about this action - possibly part of Operation Goodwood or Epsom.
It took place in late June 1944 in a field with hedgerows all round and a river at the bottom.
Having attended a Drumhead service on the beach when they landed, my father never went to church again.
Many thanks
AJ

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Gordons 1944
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 March 24 14:09 GMT (UK) »
The best source for anything to do with the operations the battalion was involved in would be the War Diaries at the National Archives. Unfortunately those particular diaries have not yet been digitized so that would mean a personal visit to TNA or paying someone to copy them on your behalf.
You are right, this was part of Operation Epsom. This was a preliminary operation to clear the Western approaches to Caen, cross the Odon river and take the high ground at Brettevile sur Laize. The initial phase was given to the 15th (Scottish) Infantry Division, of which 2 Gordons were a part.
Another good source is: Tim Saunders, Battleground Europe: Operation Epsom: Normandy, June 1944, Barnsley: Pen & Sword, 2003, ISBN 0-85052-954-9.

Online AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Gordons 1944
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 24 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Andy. some useful info there. I appreciate your reply - it's told me things I didn't know before. Thanks again
AJ