Author Topic: Teresa / Tessie Queenan Sligo, Drumfin  (Read 120 times)

Offline sim030604

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Teresa / Tessie Queenan Sligo, Drumfin
« on: Sunday 24 March 24 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am currently searching for any pictures of my Great Grandmother Teresa/Tessie Queenan (1898 - 1971), daughter of John Queenan (1839 - 1912) and Margaret Farrell (1852-1926), sister of Lizzie, Catherine, Kate and john.

My dad wishes very much to see a picture of her when she was young, as currently the very few pictures we have of her are when she is about 45-50 years old. I have been trying to find school pictures as the census record indicates she was a scholar who could read and write and in Drumfin there was a national school at that time, but unfortunately I have not been able to find a name for the school or any pictures of it.

Is anyone potentially a relative or someone who knows of a school in drumfin or any other information that could help us? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Teresa / Tessie Queenan Sligo, Drumfin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 24 08:30 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 24 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sim030604

As you already knew your great grandmother’s surname, birth year and address have you searched local newspapers, doing a search for Queenan, to see what might appear?

I don’t imagine photos were plentiful in those early years, but you might be lucky.

Kind regards

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 April 24 22:33 BST (UK) »
The problem with old school photos of this period is that they are largely group ones (sometimes boy and girls separately, sometimes who school, sometimes infant and older classes separately) and the children aren't named.

When I googled "Drumfin School, Sligo" Kilmorgan came up- this is one page by you can look at others there-
https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4701745/4698591

There's also a thread on Rootschat about the school-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=881439.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!