Author Topic: Marriage in 2 locations  (Read 622 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage in 2 locations
« on: Monday 25 March 24 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Is there any possibility of a marriage being registered in 2 locations? Sounds daft but i'm intrigued (I know i could buy both certificates but it's a research tree, not my own, so holding off for now).

It's the similarity of the unusual bride's name that makes me wonder....

Gwenhwyfar Morgan (born 6 March 1903 in Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire) married John Bowen Morgan in Merthyr Tydfil in Jul-Sept 1924; they had a son Glyndwr born 7 March 1926. John Bowen Morgan died in Jan 1936 and there's an amazingly detailed obit online (the Merthyr Express is brilliant for these).   

I've had trouble following Gwenhwyfar and Glyndwr after that time and can't find either on the 1939 register, either by name (including looking for Gwen / Glyn as both appear to be known), or by date of birth. I have now found that Gwenhwyfar was buried (in 1992) with her husband, though as Gwenhwyfar Bowen, widow of John (who wasn't buried with her). No Gwenhwyfar Morgan marriage to John Bowen, but found Gwenhwyfar Jones to John Bowen in Merthyr in 1958 (8b, 951).

So looking for a marriage of Gwenhwyfar Morgan to a Jones(!) between 1936 and 1958 and spotted these, both in the Jul-Sep quarter of 1940:
Gwenhwyfar Morgan to Thomas D Jones in Cardiff (11a, 1369)
Gwenhwyfer Morgan to John D D Jones in Hampstead (1a, 2064).

The logical one by area is the Cardiff one, though the 1936 obit for her husband does suggest that several of his siblings and in-laws were living in London (not found them yet) so it has to be a possibility (and maybe explains why i can't find Gwenhwyfar or her son Glyndwr in 1939 (spelling of Welsh names in London!).

Any suggestions welcome (or possible finds on the 1939), though i may bite the bullet and buy the certs, purely out of curiosity.

Thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in 2 locations
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 March 24 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Is it a coincidence that first husband was John Bowen Morgan & she was buried as Bowen - widow of John?

Who reported her death?

and can't find either on the 1939 register,

If you use Ancestry - try Guin Hwylan Morgan or just Morgan & birthdate

Death of son  Glyndwr Morgan  62 born 7 Mar 1926 Feb 1989 South Glamorgan
Vol 28 Page 1623
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 24 10:43 GMT (UK) »
In 1939 is there any possiblity she was listed as Gwendoline Morgan with the same birthdate as Gwenhwyfar - living in Hampshire :-\

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 March 24 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks Carole, wonder why she didn't crop up using her date of birth on either Ancestry or FindMyPast.... I had thought maybe Glyn was redacted.

Not (yet) found a connection between her first husband (Bowen was his mother's maiden name) and her third.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 March 24 10:45 GMT (UK) »
In 1939 is there any possiblity she was listed as Gwendoline Morgan with the same birthdate as Gwenhwyfar - living in Hampshire :-\

fairly sure she's the one found by Carole :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 March 24 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Just edited my reply 1 with death of son
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 March 24 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Just edited my reply 1 with death of son

yes sorry Carole, i had his death - just nothing before his marriage the year before

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 March 24 12:04 GMT (UK) »
She died as Bowen in Glamorgan and the 1939 register entries do show both Bowen & Jones suggesting 2 further marriages. 

There is a probate entry - link below - downloading a copy for £1.50 may give you a clue

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/24151827:1904

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 March 24 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole, I applied for the probate last week (and John Bowen's too in case it helped, the £1.50 cost makes it great), just waiting for their arrival.

The 1939 was very helpful thanks as it confirmed she was the lady i'm looking for. Given her location in 1939 I guess the Cardiff marriage is more likely than the London one, just seems a bit coincidental to me.

But yes, she was born Gwenhwyfar Morgan, married John Bowen Morgan, then a Jones, then John Bowen.