Author Topic: Humphrey Edward(s) - Bala 1700's  (Read 372 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Humphrey Edward(s) - Bala 1700's
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 April 24 18:18 BST (UK) »
There are more detailed reports in the same Newspapers,  In Welsh but you can screen shot the article and use Google translate.  Not 100% accurate but easy to do. It does seem to be mostly about his life as a preacher than his family.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Humphrey Edward(s) - Bala 1700's
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 April 24 18:32 BST (UK) »
There are more detailed reports in the same Newspapers,  In Welsh but you can screen shot the article and use Google translate.  Not 100% accurate but easy to do. It does seem to be mostly about his life as a preacher than his family.

Yes, I just got a subscription to the British Newspaper Archive. I've been able to verify he was the son of David Hughes and Grandson of Humphrey Edwards. He also was a witness (with his sister) to my 3x GGF/GGM wedding in Capel Garmon (1835)- so that seems right too. I've got lots of info on calvinistic ministers in the area (Llanrwst and Bala) but all of the above get the briefest of mentions, though they seem to have been in the company of more famous preachers alot. I feel like I am not that far away from figuring it all out. His sisters wedding he was a witness to, was between Hannah Hughes and William Williams. I'm currently looking at whether William Williams had a religious angle too, as everyone in the Hughes family seem to have been very religious. I've seen a tiny report that a pastor called William Williams came from Llanrwst, which looks promising, but cant find any info that supports this. Many thanks for the links though!