Author Topic: Humphrey Edward(s) - Bala 1700's  (Read 326 times)

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Humphrey Edward(s) - Bala 1700's
« on: Monday 25 March 24 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Im getting myself a bit stuck on some relatives from the Bala, Llanrwst and Abergele areas. I've found articles on them, but can't find any records confirming when they were born or died (or who the rest of their family was). According to the articles I have, Humphrey Edwards was a native of Llanllugan who then went to live in Bala (I am surmising mid 1700s). He was a preacher and I have seen his name mentioned in starting a revival in late 1700s in Caerwys, Flintshire. One of his daughters married a David Hughes (1775-1817) - who also became a preacher. They lived in Llanrwst. One of his sons was Rev. Hugh Hughes of Abergele. If anyone could help in confirming when this Hugh Hughes lived it would be fantastic. Also if anyone has any info on Humphrey Prichard or resulting family that would be great. Because these people have articles written about them, I thought they would have been the easier ones to pin down!! Many thanks in advance, Andrew

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Humphrey Edward(s) - Bala 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 March 24 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I don't know much about researching in Wales - and I currently a have an awful cold! - but I found this one interesting.

I imagine the reason researching is so difficult is because birth, marriage and death records outside of the Church of England are generally harder to come by. It sounds as though the family had been Methodists for a long time, and I'm not sure about the availability of records for this denomination.

I focused in on David Hughes, as we have more information regarding his birth and death dates. We also know that he was a tinman. This looks like his will, which is free to view via the National Library of Wales:
https://viewer.library.wales/341156#?xywh=-664%2C0%2C4109%2C3449&cv=

From it, we know the following:
- He had at least 5 daughters, namely: Jane, Ann, Mary, Elizabeth and Hannah.
- He had a son named Hugh (already known).
- His wife was Elizabeth.

So we know that Humphrey Edwards' daughter (I'm not sure why you refer to him as Prichard?) was called Elizabeth.

I can see the baptism of David & Elizabeth's daughter Hannah on 9th August 1812 in the Sion Chapel, Llanrwst, which was Calvinistic Methodist.

In 1838, the minister of this chapel was a Hugh Hughes.

I had a look through entries in the will indexes, and the only one that really matched was one from 1869 regarding "Hughes The Reverend Hugh" who was "late of Brynhyfryd in the parish of Abergele... Dissenting Minister... who died 1 February 1869." It was proved by a Margaret Roberts (wife of the Reverend Robert Roberts, Dissenting Minister), who was his daughter.

I had a look through the newspaper archives, and an article in Welsh popped up. Now, I don't understand any Welsh but I picked out the following key parts:
"74" - I think this refers to his age at death, making him born c.1796, which would fit.
"Llanwrst" is mentioned.
"David Hughes" is mentioned.
"Capel Seion, Llanwrst" is also mentioned. I believe this is a reference to the Sion Chapel.

I think this is almost certainly your man!  ;D

If you want a full translation, your best bet would be to post it on here, as I'm pretty sure there are a few Welsh speakers. It's free to view on FindMyPast: Baner ac Amserau Cymru, 03 February 1869

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 24 18:17 GMT (UK) »

Absolutely amazing work!!! I really do appreciate all the efforts you have put in - brilliant!. I'm off work today, so have been doing a bit more digging and so far your results look spot on  :) I think I may have found David Hughes' family in Dinas Mawddy - so possibly might be able to go back further on that line. It seems a really interesting side to my family, hugely religious by the looks of it! The Humphrey Edwards person interests me, as he seems to have been a bit of a "star performer" (if that is the right word) on the religious circuits of the late 1700s. The connections I am finding is that being a tinman and glazier and being of a calvinistic bent seems to mean that you were attached to this family! Once again many thanks!   :)

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 March 24 18:32 GMT (UK) »

So we know that Humphrey Edwards' daughter (I'm not sure why you refer to him as Prichard?) was called Elizabeth.

Yes, that was an error, I have been looking at some Pritchards in Clynnog as part of another branch of the tree and seem to have put that in by error  :). It is definitely Humphrey Edwards!! Hope you get over your cold quickly! p.s its the first time I've seen the will indexes - going to have a fun night looking through it!!

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 March 24 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Glad I was able to help  :)

The connections I am finding is that being a tinman and glazier and being of a calvinistic bent seems to mean that you were attached to this family!

Hugh's daughter, Margaret, was baptised at the Sion Chapel in 1824 (her mother - Hugh's wife - was Gainor Griffiths) and his occupation is given as tinman and glazier  ;D

It seems a really interesting side to my family, hugely religious by the looks of it!

Your family is definitely an interesting one; mine is very boring in comparison! May I ask from whom you descend? Are you a descendant of David Hughes through one of his children?

Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 March 24 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my line as far as I've gone back is as follows

Humphrey Edwards has a daughter Elizabeth who marries David Hughes -
They have a daughter Hannah - who marries a William Williams.
Their son David Hughes Williams moves to Liverpool and marries an Isabella McEwen ...and thereon & thereon.

David Hughes Williams spent most of his early life (judging by census records) living with a William Owen and his wife in Llanrwst. As his mother (Hannah) died early. They were clerks of the guardians - essentially managing and administering the poor of the area. He then went to Liverpool before moving to Llanfairefechan and then back to Liverpool.  William Williams (David Hughes Williams father) was a Tinman and Glazier amongst other things (a hatter and a grocer too). He ended up in Llanfairfechan living with his daughters family.

I've become really interested in the religious nature of these family members - as my family as far as I can recall have never been that religious.  I have had a few people from Argentina contact me as we have DNA matches, so I'm guessing some of this side left for Patagonia in mid to late 1800s.

Judging by how much David Hughes was leaving in 1807, being a tinman was a pretty decent living  :)

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 March 24 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I believe you are right with 1869 as the date when Hugh Hughes passed away. I now believe he may have had a few wives having been widowed. With his first wife Gaynor Griffiths he seems to have had a daughter Margaret. Then he marries a Gwen Richards and has 2 sons, David and William. I have not found any more children, but found an article that another Reverand (Robert Roberts 1818-89) married one of his daughters. So this ties in with what you have found!!

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 April 24 15:33 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline climbingthewalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 April 24 17:49 BST (UK) »
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3286859/3286861/6/

Rev Hugh Hughes. In English

Hi, many thanks for this. It adds some much needed detail to what I am finding out about this side of the family.